



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

**Call to Order**

**This meeting is being held virtually via google meets.**

Meeting called to order by Committee Vice-Chair, **Suzanne Hessman**. The date was June 14, 2023, at 5:04 pm. The address of the meeting was Virtual, no physical address.

---

**Welcome and Introductions**

Attendance in Person: **None. This meeting was virtual.**

Attendance by Google Meets unless otherwise noted:

- **Suzanne Hessman, (Chair)**
- **Sarah McGovern (Vice-chair)**
- **Kin Counts**
- **Rebekah Gigliotti**
- **Teresa Brooks**
- **Aimee Griffith-Johnson**

Absent:

- **Elizabeth (Beth) Bird**
- **Yolanda Huynh**
- **Tonia Schultz (non-voting member)**

Public in Attendance: **None**

Arizona Department of Administration (ADOA): **Absent**

Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS): **Fredreaka Graham**

Healthcare Plan Liaison: **Dawn McReynolds** (United HealthCare) and **Vera Kramarchuk** (Mercy Care)(Phone 480-\*\*\*.\*\*17)

DDD staff and guests: **Trudy O'Connor** (District East Quality Manager), **Leah Gibbs** (DDD OIFA Bureau Chief), **Joan McQuade** (Office of Individual and Family Affairs Manager), **Michelle Rademacher** (IOC Liaison) **Berenice Curro Sanchez** (DDD DE PRC Chair)

**The Committee, DDD, AHCCCS, UHC& Mercy Care Employees** introduced themselves.

---



Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM

*This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. Liaison has edited some of the transcript for accuracy and ease of reading. Any blue italics transcription was missed by the transcriber.*

## DDD District East IOC-Conference Call line (2023-06-14 17:04 GMT-7) - Transcript

### Attendees

+1 480-\*\*\*-\*\*17, +1 602-\*\*\*-\*\*07, +1 602-\*\*\*-\*\*86, Aimee Griffith-Johnson, Berenice Curro Sanchez, Dawn McReynolds UHC OIFA, Fredreaka Graham, Joan McQuade, Kin Counts, Leah Gibbs, Michelle Rademacher, Rebekah Gigliotti, Sarah McGovern, Suzie Hessman, Teresa Brooks, Trudy O'connor

### Transcript

#### Call to Order

*Suzie Hessman: Okay, we are calling this meeting to order for the Independent Oversight Committee for District East. It is June 14, 5:04pm. I'm going to read the conflict of interest statement. Well I thought that's what this was, but no this is actually a disclosure form. It is not attached to this email, Michelle. Do you have it there quickly that you can read?*

*Michelle Rademacher: I do.*

*Suzie Hessman: Okay.*

*Michelle Rademacher: So the disclosure statement is, "Do we have anyone that has to disclose a conflict of interest? If there is, the committee member needs to disclose why"*

#### Welcome and Introductions

*Suzie Hessman: Okay. Then we will go to welcome and introductions. I am Suzie Hessmain, chairperson. Sarah.*

*Sarah McGovern: Sarah McGovern, vice chairperson IOC East.*

*Suzie Hessman: Kin.*

*Kin Counts: This is Kin Counts, committee member.*

*Suzie Hessman: Rebekah.*



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

*Rebekah Gigliotti: Rebekah Gioglitti, committee members.*

*Suzie Hessman: Teresa*

*Teresa Brooks: Teresa Brooks, committee member.*

*Suzie Hessman: Amy*

*Aimee Griffith-Johnson: Aimee Griffith- Johnson, committee member.*

*Suzie Hessman: And just to be sure. I got all the committee members right. I didn't miss anybody? Okay. Michelle.*

*Michelle Rademacher: Yes. Continue with the introductions?*

*Suzie Hessman: Yes, please.*

*Michelle Rademacher: My pleasure. Leah Gibbs, would you start us off please.*

*Leah Gibbs: Sure, good evening everyone. I'm Leah Gibbs, administrator of the Office of Individual and Family Affairs.*

*Michelle Rademacher: Trudy O'Connor*

*Trudy O'connor: Good evening. Trudy O'Connor, District East Quality Assurance Manager.*

*Michelle Rademacher: Joan McQuade*

*Joan McQuade: Good evening everyone. Joan McQuade, Office of Individual and Family Affairs manager. Here supporting Michelle and the IOCs.*

*Michelle Rademacher: Vera Kramarchuk*

*+1 480-\*\*\*-\*\*17: Vera Kramarchuk, Mercy Care Ombudsman*

*Michelle Rademacher: Dawn McReynolds*

*Dawn McReynolds: Dawn McReynolds, Office of Individual and Family Affairs Administrator at United Healthcare*

*Michelle Rademacher: Fredreaka Graham*

*+1 602-\*\*\*-\*\*86: Hello. Fredreaka Graham with AHCCCS IOC Manager*

*Michelle Rademacher: My name is Michelle Rademacher, I'm the DDD Independent Oversight Committee Liaison for District, District South, District West, and District North. Did we miss anybody?*

*Suzie Hessman: I just want to make sure Beth didn't get on while we were going through. Right? I don't see her.*

*Michelle Rademacher: I don't see her.*



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

**Call to Public**

*Suzie Hessman: Alright. Thank you, everyone. Next we have call to the public. Do we have anyone from the public on this call?*

**DDD Policy and/or Legislative Issues**

*Suzie Hessman: Okay. Next we have DD Policy and Legislative Issues. Does anybody have anything that they want to review? If not, I'm going to ask Leah if there's anything, I know there were several updates that got sent out, if there is anything that we should highlight. Leah.*

*Leah Gibbs: Suzie as of right now, we do know that there is new legislature that the governor has signed-in that is a requirement through the Department of Health Services to license a new type of group home that they are calling behavior supported group home. This is work that actually kinda correlates with work the Division has been doing in establishing a new type of group home that we had been referring to as enhanced behavioral group home. And what we have found is the criteria in the legislation is very very similar to the new service that we just did our first vendor call on. And our plan is that we are going to incorporate those requirements from the legislation into our service specifications for our enhanced behavioral group home service and we will start referring to it as behavioral supported group home. But that is going to correlate with the Division rolling out our new request for proposal for new qualified vendor application that's going to be hitting the streets that I'll share with you more when I do my updates. But we will be then meeting that new legislative requirement in something that we were already rolling out so that we are not confusing people with two different types of things that are addressing the same population. We still have not heard any, we know legislature keeps kinda coming back in session. We have not heard any updates or heard that there has been any movement in adding the new diagnoses of Spina Bifida or Prader Willi Syndrome. So at this point it is our understanding that we will not be making those changes unless something else happens legislatively. We also have not heard that the work that was being done around supportive decision making to be codified in law here in Arizona has not been signed off yet by the governor. We do not know if it's going to roll back around or not but if it does we certainly be letting you know about that and what that means for options for members about how they'd like to build their support team around themselves for planning purposes. We also know that the legislature did in fact sign off and the governor signed off on a budget for next year. And the budget did not include additional funds for raises to qualified vendors and it's just something that we all need to live with moving forward. There was funds in the budget to be able to allow for growth in DDD because we are still experiencing about a 5% growth year over year of new members of the program. So they did give us budgetary funds to be able to add new support coordinators to be able to support those new families as they come onboard. And then none of us know what will happen next year around budget. Those are my updates. Did you have any particular ones you were thinking about that I could help with?*

*Suzie Hessman: No. so many came across and I didn't have the opportunity to read them. So I figured that you would know the best ones to highlight for us.*

*Leah Gibbs: We know that we will be partnering with the Department of Health Services around what that licensure will look like around the new legislature for behavioral support group homes. And we really don't expect any kind of significant things in that working with the Department of Health Services has gone very*



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

very well and the legislation does a really good job of specifically identifying what needs to be a part of that process.

*Suzie Hessman: Is there anything that was different than what you guys were doing?*

*Leah Gibbs: There is and I have to apologize that I can't off the top of my head I don't have those but it's almost all of what we were building around the enhanced behavioral group home. There were just a couple of more requirements that we are in full agreement with no problem just adding those in. The whole purpose is to make sure we have a foundation of direct support professionals who have the right training and the right background and that we expect that we will be able to hopefully service members much more effectively serve with these additional requirements and then partnering with the qualified vendor community to make sure that we are supporting them that they have access to the training they need for their staff.*

*Kin Counts: With regards to the group home, will those current members who are in the enhanced behavior group home, so when these behaviors or the group home becomes what it is are there new requirements, will it affect the current group of members?*

*Leah Gibbs: Right now today, we have actually done a vendor call for our first enhanced behavioral group homes that is in compliance with the new, it's still brand new. And when we roll out these new changes, they're going to be wrapped into the new contract. It should not affect the members in any negative way. It just means the providers who are providing that service will have some of those additional requirements that are outlined in their contract and it should not have any negative impact on the members. It just will be referenced a different name for the group home, rather than enhanced behavioral it will be behavioral supported.*

*Aimee Griffith-Johnson: Hi Leah, hi team. It's good to see you I know I've been seeing you a lot on several different things. Is there any word on SB1411 yet and where that trajectory is going with guardianship.*

*Leah Gibbs: Yep, it's not going anywhere. I can tell you that I didn't mean it to sound quite like that and I apologize. But it is not being moved forward this session at all. I can share with you that we the Division are starting some outreach with some of our partners in the community to develop a kind of one pager quick reference guide document that we can use to have support coordinators get out to families and have it posted on our webpage so that we can start doing that education when the member is about sixteen and a half. So that families can start considering what are their legal options and then refer them to that really well built legal options guide that is published by the Arizona Centers for Disability Law and to reference families to some of those free trainings that are available to families like through from Raising Special Kids that they have a whole class on turning eighteen and legal options that sort of follows that guide so that we're are doing a little better proactive job in letting families know what their options are. And today we had Raising Special Kids provide their training to our all staff meeting, we had one this morning and one this afternoon, to make sure that our support coordinators also know what what those options are about families who choose to do their own paperwork and follow that process or use if they wanna use a company that will just help to develop the forms or if they want to hire an attorney and do some of that education so we can do a better job supporting the families.*

*Aimee Griffith-Johnson: That's good to hear. I know obviously some of my colleagues at ACDL we've been watching this very very closely making sure You know I think it needs to be more of how do we help*



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

*those be able to ascertain those services free of charge or cheaper than to actually put everybody in one box.*

*Leah Gibbs: Absolutely. We're excited. It does not mean Aimee though, we've heard rumblings that it may come around next year. But I'm very optimistic that we'll get this done so we will be able to say we've already done this and we have this education available and thank you for the legislation but we're there.*

*Suzie Hessman: I saw that we had two people join. Berenice.*

*Berenice Curro Sanchez: Hi good afternoon. I'm so sorry I was having technical difficulties. That would be me. I was calling and then I was able to finally join through google meets.*

*Suzie Hessman: Okay so you're the 07 number as well.*

*Berenice Curro Sanchez: Correct. Thank you. I apologize for that.*

*Suzie Hessman: You can go ahead and introduce yourself to the group*

*Berenice Curro Sanchez: Good afternoon my name is Berenice Curro. I'm the District East PRC chair.*

*Suzie Hessman: Leah, Sorry to interrupt with that. Did you have anything else?*

*Leah Gibbs: When it comes to legislation, that's what I have at this point.*

### **DDD Staff update**

*Suzie Hessman: Thank You. Our next agenda item is DDD Staff update. So, Michelle, you want to take the reins on that one*

*Michelle Rademacher: Sure. Leah, would you like to roll right into your update, please.*

*Leah Gibbs: Don't you guys get tired of hearing from me? I actually do have some things. I want to apologize if some things sound like they are redundant. But I think that we sort of keep moving some process forward in our initiatives. I'd love to keep the committee current on what's happening. I believe that I was able to report to you recently that in our current to future, which is our strategic planning initiatives for the Division, we have finally been able to be released from all notices to cure that we've had historically with AHCCCS. We are now at a point that get to refocus and start putting some energy into forward thinking initiatives while we continue to maintain compliance. At this point in time, we've got some phase two initiatives that we are rolling out in our strategic plan. We have one that we are referencing as Person Centered program Development and the whole point of it is globally it's bigger, it's inclusive of the person centered planning process but it's actually bigger than that. It's around improving the quality of our support coordination interactions with our members, the people that we serve. It's our opportunity that we've been able to do. I had let the committee know a few months ago that we've been able to make some great strides in hiring vacant positions for support coordination and we continue to do that month after month. But it means that we have a lot of new staff onboard right now for the Division. We have established what we are calling onboarding units that are units within the districts that specifically help over a three month period to onboard new employees so that they have that exposure and they are mentored by someone who has experience. We are doing graduation ceremonies for the staff who have completed their onboarding process and it's been incredibly successful. We don't see that level of staff who come onboard, get*



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)**  
**District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)**  
**Public Meeting Minutes Summary**  
**Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

*overwhelmed and leave. They're being able to learn in a pattern that works for them, that they have time to process and by the time that they are finished their onboarding they are ready to support families. So that's part of this initiative and it seems to be going very well. Right now we have two units in Maricopa county and we're about to roll out a unit that does onboarding in Pima county, in the Tucson area and we'll be looking to rolling one out into our District North as well. We're excited about that. We also are establishing what we are calling Support Coordination Operations Units. These are folks that are supporting our support coordinators to be able to look behind around quality person centered service planning to make sure we are compliant in the work that we are doing, that our support coordinators are following everything that they need to do to recognize what needs to be followed up upon and at what point things are comfortable for that member and their family. We are rolling out the process of looking at becoming*

00:17:56

**Leah Gibbs:** Accredited by the National Committee of Quality Assurance which is really exciting because it's a national opportunity to look behind for the Division to make sure that our member rights are right up to speed with what is nationally best practice, that our support coordination practices are up to speed, that we are continuing to grow as a Division, that we've got good good processes to monitor our processes. So we're excited to roll that out. Our goal is to achieve that accreditation by late October 2024 and we have several different units working on those goals for that. We also have our ARPA funding projects. Last year, we were able to distribute what we call directed payments to our qualified vendor networks to use funds to be able to recruit and retain staff. Those funds could be used for things like bonuses, or stipends or one-time payments. They were not designed to become basic wages for staff, but a way to bring people onboard and keep them on board. And this year we've been able to also send out directed payments to the qualified vendor network to continue to work on making sure that our vendors are able to hire to retain staff. Those payments all have already been distributed for the year and our vendor community is using those funds.

**Leah Gibbs:** We are using ARPA funding also to strengthen some of our behavioral health services in supporting members. I already talked to you a little bit about the enhanced behavioral group home for the residential settings and the new legislation around that. We are also continuing, excuse me, to work on our project of providing education to the agencies that provide behavioral health services to our members. As you know, our Division has our DDD health plans providing physical health and behavioral health, and we do care coordination and coordinate those services, but they're the ones who have the agencies on board to provide the services. So, through this ARPA fund, we're looking at a couple of avenues. We're looking at developing and working with Reliance, which is a training platform that all of the behavioral health agencies have access to and expanding the courses. Relias as a library, has a group of courses that are designed for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities that are not currently in the network today. And we're working with the different health plan organizations to expand.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)**  
**District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)**  
**Public Meeting Minutes Summary**  
**Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

00:20:54

**Leah Gibbs:** What's available in reliance to include additional courses and we are working at developing our own course that it's very specific to DDD and to Arizona's programs and how we coordinate and collaborate services. So we'll also have additional training available about that for all of the direct support staff in the behavioral health, as well as their counselors and their other staff in their organizations. Secondly we are looking at supporting a couple of two-day long conferences to invite in folks from the behavioral health agencies, one would be down in the Tucson area, one in the Phoenix area. We would be able to offer continuing education credits to those who are able to attend and to use that time to provide this very directed training about the best practices in supporting people with Intellectual and developmental disabilities.

**Leah Gibbs:** The work that we're doing around rolling out positive behavior support for our members' families, who are providing their care as well as to the direct support professionals in the agencies, is continuing to move along. There has already been a little over 10 curricula that have been reviewed. The committee that is looking at this work kind of identified a rubric of what we felt were important components that need to be addressed in these trainings and so far, we have not found any one curriculum that kind of meets them all, but it looks like we may have the support from those who own those curriculum to work with us so that we can take some of the best parts and pull together what we think is going to really help people in Arizona, be the best effective way to deliver the the training. We continue to have support to be able to provide incentives to our qualified vendor network that we would pay for their trainers to come to a train-the-trainer training so that we are providing them the information, the trainers guides, curriculum guides and handouts, and we're giving them the tools and support to deliver the training to their direct support professionals. And we are looking at expanding a contract through an agency that does statewide training already for families to include this and provide training support to them.

**Leah Gibbs:** In addition, to rolling out a, once a week, kind of a technical assistance call-in opportunity, that people who've received the training who are trying to follow the techniques and trying to make things work for particular members that they support that they have a way to call-in and get technical assistance and get ideas and share ideas as we continue to roll that out. Our ultimate goal is that we should be able to start doing some train-the-trainers in early 2024 and then rolling it out in mid 2024. We know the ARPA funding itself is available until September of 2024. As a project that we're rolling out, it's our hope that we should be able to find a way to support positive behavior support beyond ARPA funding and roll that into part of how DDD does business and how we support our vendors, and how we support our families. We are moving that one along and we're really happy about the progress that we've made. I want to back up and tell you a little more about, I mentioned that our contract, the Division has what we call an RRQVA which is Request for Qualified Vendor Applications. That's our contracting process with our qualified vendor community. We've been functioning under the same actual contract with our provider community since 2010.





**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)**  
**District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)**  
**Public Meeting Minutes Summary**  
**Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

00:25:11

**Leah Gibbs:** We've made amendments to it but we haven't really rolled out a new contract. And so, we are in the process, after doing several community events and partnering with stakeholders and other organizations, we are getting ready to roll out a new contract. That means all of our existing qualified vendor network would be reapplying with this new contract to continue to provide services. We've already done outreach to the vendor community. We have checked with them to make sure that we are not aware of any gaps that may occur. For example, if we have a vendor today who says, Gee, I don't want to recontract with you in the future and we are not identifying any. Our vendor community has all indicated they plan to move forward with this process. If for some reason, there is a decision by somebody. We will work with all members and families that are served by that vendor to make sure that services do not have gaps, but we don't expect it to be any based on the feedback we've received from the vendor community. That new contract, they're going to start receiving new applications around September of 2023. And then it will be implemented in 2024. So that's just something to be aware of. It does mean that we have put a temporary hold on allowing new people, who are not contracted with us, to put in new applications because we need that time to be able to prepare for the almost 800 qualified vendors that are going to need to be reapplying and staying on board with us. And then once we get that rolled out, we will reopen up to allow people who are interested in contracting with the Division to make new applications based on our service needs. So that's gonna be moving forward. One of the other projects that we have been working on is, we are aware that a lot of families use social media to be able to be current on what's happening and getting information and sometimes there's misinformation out on social media.

**Leah Gibbs:** And we have partners in the community that will bring those things to our attention. We ask all of you as IOC members if you hear something, please let me know. One of the things that we've discussed is we want to try to be a little more proactive about getting information out to members and families. We have started the process of developing what we're calling Quick Reference guides, kind of one page documents that are designed to help the community have information at their fingertips that is accurate and understandable. We've heard back from our stakeholders that sometimes we have a tendency to publish things that are at a higher level than maybe the community is understanding. And the challenge we have given ourselves is to make sure that we're writing these in plain language. So that people know what we're trying to say. And keep it as simple and straightforward as we can. We are also started developing a list of what we're calling influencers, folks, who either have their own platforms that they use for sharing information on social media or some of the organizations that have information that they share out. And as we publish these, these quick reference guides, they have agreed to help us in emailing those out, their list of folks, so that we can try and do a better job of being proactive and getting accurate information out into the public.

**Leah Gibbs:** Right now where we have two that are already published on our Web page. One of them is to support families who are trying to coordinate benefits for their pharmacy benefits. Those families who have either a private or commercial insurance plan that they're trying to coordinate with their DDD health plan or our tribal health program, and giving them some direction and support about how best to coordinate those services.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

**Leah Gibbs:** We have a second one that we have published that is the most current information for families as paid providers for their minor children, letting folks know that AHCCCS did announce to us that the program is going to continue as is through November 11 of 2023. And once we have more information, we'll be sharing that out and updating that. We have several that are in production right now. We are about to release one to help families understand that with the public health emergency, there was a hold on AHCCCS doing redetermination of eligibility of people. We kept them covered through their AHCCCS program, whether that was AHCCCS complete care DDD and and we want to make sure that families are aware that, with the unwinding of the public health

**00:30:42**

**Leah Gibbs:** Emergency, AHCCCS is now charged with doing redeterminations for almost two million people who qualify for their different programs and that will include our DDD members. And so we've got a one-pager to let families know that if they're long-term care eligible, how important it is that we have the most current contact information and then we make sure that AHCCCS has made aware of any changes in address or phone numbers and for our members who have an AHCCCS complete care plan, how to work with the website, Healthy Arizona, around making sure their information is current, so that nobody falls in the cracks through this redetermination process and to help our AHCCCS partners to make sure that those things are happening as smoothly as they can.

**Leah Gibbs:** So that one is underway. We have one that is just about going to AHCCCS for approval around the use of naloxone for opioid overdoses. As sad as it is, we are seeing members in our program who have been victims of opioid overdoses. And we want to make sure that members and families know that they can access naloxone and how to use it and where to get information and what to do if they're supporting a member that they suspect is has an overdose. So we're getting that one out. We have one that we're working on today around the role of a support coordinator and to help families know what are those functions that a support coordinator does, and what do I do if I can't get a hold of my support, coordinator to understand that hierarchy, around the supervisor, the area program manager, the customer service team. But we're working on that one. And as a committee, if there are any subjects that you would recommend would be really good, quick reference guides to help families, I would really appreciate your thoughts and input. You're welcome to send me an email anytime. I think most of you have my email address. You all have Michelle's and she can forward me any recommendations. As we're developing these guides, we are partnering with our community members and stakeholders to help us so that we're not doing them in isolation. And so if you recommend one and you want to help develop it with me, that would be phenomenal and I'll be happy to do that. How's that for plenty?

**Suzie Hessman:** And that was a lot.

**Leah Gibbs:** I can.

**Kin Counts:** That is awesome. I look forward to all this. I'm excited. So

**Leah Gibbs:** Nobody wants me bored Kin, you know.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

**Kin Counts:** Anyway guys, some question. With all this going on, how about our article 9? Are we going to update those because

**Leah Gibbs:** You know, at this point in time, we recognize that there is a need. We do have these other things like this, that's accreditation. That is a priority right now. However, Zane has absolutely made the commitment when we are ready, we're not going to do anything independent of inviting in representatives from the Independent Oversight Committees as well as other stakeholders, so that when we start dialogues around Article 9, we're working it together. But I don't have a date.

**Kin Counts:** Oh, okay. Right. Yeah, because we are looking to all the, you know, the new Behaviors support group home and things. So, I wonder if, you know, we need to update our behavior Article 9, you know?

**Leah Gibbs:** This so that, you know, when it comes to the behavioral supported group homes, there should not be any conflict with Article 9. As it is today...

**Kin Counts:** Okay, that's good.

**Leah Gibbs:** but we still know we have that conflict around some of those issues with the ECT, the electroconvulsive therapy, and we know that that is something that is being looked at.

**Kin Counts:** Awesome. Thank you so much, Leah. Thank you.

**Leah Gibbs:** Thank you. Suzie seeing you can say, I just it's too much.

00:35:00

**Suzie Hessman:** Yeah.

**Leah Gibbs:** But I want you all to know what's going on.

**Suzie Hessman:** Thank you. Now I think we all appreciate that very much. It's good to know that you guys are doing a lot of things behind the scenes to improve the lives of our members. That's the most important thing, and that's what we want to know is happening. So

**Leah Gibbs:** And exactly what we're here for. So thank you.

**Suzie Hessman:** Thanks. Okay.

**Suzie Hessman:** Michelle, you want to keep going and calling on everybody.

**Michelle Rademacher:** Sure. Trudy. Are you ready to follow up after Leah?

**Trudy O'connor:** No, I don't get you to follow Leah.

**Suzie Hessman:** Yeah.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)**  
**District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)**  
**Public Meeting Minutes Summary**  
**Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

**Trudy O'connor:** As far as our staffing updates in quality, we actually are very very busy. We've got a lot of onboarding underway. We actually, at this time, we are onboarding five different people in different positions and unfortunately, they were sort of staggered when they came in. So it's been quite a challenge to, you know, break out all of that extra work. So we're working very hard to get people to speed and access to everything that they need so that they can start running free and taking on some of our challenges. So, that's our big update for right now.

**Suzie Hessman:** Great, that's a lot with five. Go ahead Kin.

**Kin Counts:** Yeah. Sorry again I have a lot to say right? Anyway, No. I Trudy um yeah I have to say the latest IRs that we reviewed, it was so much better than before for some reason. You did something to, I don't know the templates and the way you put it input information. I think it was like, wow. And I say Well it's never happened before and we are more. We know what is going on. I keep asking questions that why this one is not done is that, but it's all there at the bottom. One part where you're okay, this has been done. This has been done and so I just want to say that it is, this is this is great. Yeah it really is.

**Trudy O'connor:** And I'm still going to share that. Thank you.

**Kin Counts:** Really helps, someone is telling why this is not, that you know how we always ask questions but now it's okay. It has been done, you know. And I think this is great. Thank you. Trudy is awesome.

**Suzie Hessman:** Hey Kin. Are you talking about the, what quality is inputting in their notes is, okay?

**Kin Counts:** Yeah. And the investigations and things like that, is more like you can tell more. I mean, of course, we can't see everything, but we but I can see what has been done. Like when it's something in my mind that, okay, this should be done. Oh, it's already done. When I come, when you read on, it's there, had that investigated. Yes.

**Suzie Hessman:** Good. Okay, good. That's really good to know.

**Trudy O'connor:** Great. And so you see that, when the, like when we're closing a case, you're seeing all the follow-up, you might not see it initially. But then at the back end, you will.

**Kin Counts:** Right.

**Suzie Hessman:** Yeah, we're not reviewing the active. We're only reviewing the closed...

**Trudy O'connor:** Oh good.

**Suzie Hessman:** because it's hard with the current ones. Usually they're brand new and they don't have any information and we're asking you all the questions that you are going to ask. So we're just reviewing closed ones.

**Trudy O'connor:** Yeah, that sounds like a more effective method so that's, that's great, thank you for that feedback. I'm so gonna share that.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

**Suzie Hessman:** Kin, with the thumbs up, on the screen.

**Suzie Hessman:** Thank you, Trudy.

**Michelle Rademacher:** Joan, would you like to go next, please?

**Joan McQuade:** Hi everybody. We are fully staffed. And in regard to our incidents, because a lot of the agencies have already started using the new reporting form, you're probably going to notice too, that there's a lot more information in the description portion of a lot of the incidents. And of course, this means that our folks that are redacting have a lot more to be going through to Redact. But we're keeping up with, with the volume. And we're just waiting now to find out when they're going to start entering incidents directly in the portal because that's going to make the redactors work a lot easier because they'll just go into one place and redact and be done rather than having to pull up an incident, create a PDF, do the reduction, save it, put it in a folder so that it can then get sent to you. There's a lot of steps involved for every one of them. Once we're in the portal, we'll be going in, bringing up the incident, doing whatever redaction needs to be done and it'll be completed. So, we're looking forward to that hopefully, before the end of the year.

**00:40:21**

**Suzie Hessman:** Great, I didn't realize they had updated the incident form. So that's good to know. We talked about that for years that needed more detail. So

**Joan McQuade:** Well, yeah, it's about I think it's a total of nine pages. But what it does is it, right at the very beginning, it asks, "Is this a member death, a medication error or other" which is all the other incidents. So this way here, for the medication errors and for member deaths, they can be more specific in the kind of questions they're asking. Especially in the medication errors, because there's really a lot of information that is needed to make sure that everybody's has done what they needed to do after a medic..there was an error and medication, unless of course, with one of those members, that's refusing their meds, which you know all the what all they can do is just document that on a daily basis. These were the medications, the member refused and the steps they took. But yeah that's giving a lot more information for you folks to be able to and for AHCCCS. So they're able, everything in the portal, they'll be a lot more detail for them as well. So, And I think Trudy just put the link in the chat for the new,...

**Suzie Hessman:** That's great.

**Joan McQuade:** the new form. So you can see for yourself how much more there is to it.

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay, it took me to a place and then wants my email address. Ao I just put in my email address. It's. We have to have a password or something?

**Trudy O'connor:** No, that doesn't sound right. Let me see if it works differently. I'll see if I can't fix that.

**Suzie Hessman:** Yeah, unable to sign in.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

**Trudy O'connor:** What I'll do is I'll do a PDF and then Michelle, maybe you could send it out to everyone.

**Suzie Hessman:** That would be great. Thank you. Yeah.

**Trudy O'connor:** Would that work? Okay.

**Michelle Rademacher:** Sure. Thank you, Trudy.

**Michelle Rademacher:** Bernice, would you happen to have an update today?

**Berenice Curro Sanchez:** Just a couple, we hired a second admin for PRC District East. Our admin that was hired in January, is on an extended leave. So, we're still behind, unfortunately, but we should be hiring a second person to help us get back on track. I believe we still have not been able to contact with an IOC person to help us with our plans. I'm not sure if there's any updates on that from IOC.

**Suzie Hessman:** Um, I thought I'm gonna have to go back and look at our last meeting. Wasn't there somebody on the committee who said that they were going to get with Bernice? Michelle, can you look back at that and update Berenice because I thought we had somebody.

**Berenice Curro Sanchez:** I thought so too, but I don't recall getting any emails in order for us to start coordinating, and working on. I was under the understanding that because we didn't have anybody to be present within the meetings, we were just uploading the dispositions for each member to the folder, the Share folder for Google.

**Suzie Hessman:** How many plans do you think, Berenice, are being reviewed a month?

**Berenice Curro Sanchez:** Oh, right now we're doing about 10 plans per week. And I believe Kin did all the way till February. So we should have right now March, April, May and then whatever is going on in June.

**Suzie Hessman:** And okay, your backlogged from us then is what you're telling me by a ways.

00:45:00

**Berenice Curro Sanchez:** Correct.

**Suzie Hessman:** I didn't realize that. Okay.

**Suzie Hessman:** All right. Berenice, I'll look back through the notes from last month and see. And unfortunately, it's out of my abilities right now, I've got too much going on with my daughter. So, but let's see because I thought we had one, or two people that were able to do that. But I don't remember who so we'll go back look at the notes and reach out to them and see.

**Berenice Curro Sanchez:** Thank you, I really appreciate it. I understand that we have been short on volunteers as well. PRC's on the same right now. It's hard because most people are doing vacations or you know it's the summertime, it's a little bit harder. So I understand. Let me know if there's anything I can do and I'm just one email or call away. Thank you so much.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

**Suzie Hessman:** Thank you.

**Michelle Rademacher:** And I'll take a look through there, the notes, to see if I can help you identify what we collected at the last meeting.

**Suzie Hessman:** This. Okay.

**Suzie Hessman:** Thank you. Okay.

**Michelle Rademacher:** Not a problem at all.

**Michelle Rademacher:** So, that is it for our DDD staff updates.

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay, you didn't have anything then Michelle or you're waiting till the number eight. Um, okay,...

**Michelle Rademacher:** Yeah, I was gonna wait.

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay, so we do not have Larry on, correct? We don't have anyone from ADOA.

**Michelle Rademacher:** No, Larry is on annual leave this week so we do not have an ADOA representative.

**Suzie Hessman:** Well, that's rude that Larry and Jeffrey planned at the same time.

**Suzie Hessman:** You know.

**Michelle Rademacher:** What a strange coincidence?

### **Health Plans Liaisons Updates**

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay, we will go to seven to Healthplan liaison updates. And we've got both health plans on. So Dawn, if you'd like to go first, if you have any updates for us.

**Dawn McReynolds UHC OIFA:** I would actually, thank you. So normally, when I join, I, you know, have no updates. But I wanted to update this IOC. With working closely with DDD and having the DDD line in United Healthcare, I just wanted to take a brief moment and explain, sort of the structure of our group. So that if this IOC ever has any questions they can contact, Michelle and Michelle can send them through me. So we have our own DDD Liaisons that really work in conjunction with the DDD support coordinators. So on any issues that our members have, those individual liaisons work with right within our special programs team. They work in conjunction with OIFA and we have other liaisons but we also have our DDD Behavioral Health coordinator who also works with our DDD members.

**Dawn McReynolds UHC OIFA:** And our DD liaisons and DDD support coordinators. So I wanted to show an update a little bit of the coordination that occurs within our health plan with DDD. And so if this IOC ever has any questions or or information that they'd like from United Healthcare, please just reach out to



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Michelle. She communicates with me on a regular basis and we will certainly coordinate with DDD and try to meet the needs of this IOC. So thank you.

**Suzie Hessman:** Thank you, Dawn. I know I have been confused, personally. I've had lots of different UHC points of contact for my own personal daughters. So

**Dawn McReynolds UHC OIFA:** Yeah, I thought it might be helpful just to kind of talk a little bit about the structure and how we're all here. We're a huge team of liaisons and advocates and we really work very closely with Leah and her team at DDD so I thought it might be helpful.

**Suzie Hessman:** Great. Thank you.

**Suzie Hessman:** Vera. Do you have any updates for us?

**+1 480-\*\*\*-\*\*17:** Hi. No updates from Mercy Care.

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay, thank you.

00:50:00

**Suzie Hessman:** And I realized that we didn't ask Fredeaka if she had anything.

**Fredreaka Graham:** Hello, I don't have anything unless you guys have any questions for me.

**Suzie Hessman:** I do not if anybody else does.

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay.

**Fredreaka Graham:** All right.

### **DDD IOC Liaison Update**

**Suzie Hessman:** Michelle, it's back to you DDD IOC Liaison update.

**Michelle Rademacher:** Just a short update from me. I did want to let you guys all know that the open meeting law. Sorry, I lost track of my notes here. The open meeting law training was held June 7th. A copy of the PowerPoint presentation has been provided and shared by email, with all the committee members. A copy of the audio profile is available on the ADOA IOC website. If anybody needs any assistance with locating these, just reach out to me or Jeffrey, and we'd be happy to help you with that. And if you have any questions related to that, just let us know. That's what we're here for is to help you as much as we possibly can with open meeting law and any other needs, or concerns you have. I also want to let you know that monthly DDD hosts public town hall meetings for members and providers. Every, the first Thursday of every month, DDD hosts these meetings and they're held virtually. The next one is Thursday July 6 from 6 to 8 pm. DDD will present updates and announcements through that meeting. If you would like the link or assistance to finding where you can see that on the website, I'd be happy to help you and Jeffrey is also available for that. Another thing I wanted to let you know about is any, if any IOC members





**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

want any business cards or pamphlets to use in recruiting, [please let either myself or Jeffrey know. We can also provide you with the volunteer coordinators contact information. If you'd like more resources from her, they are available. That's it.

**Suzie Hessman:** Thank you.

### **Discussion, Review, and Possible Action on Committee Memberships**

**Suzie Hessman:** Our next item is discussion review and possible action on committee membership. I'm assuming there isn't any potential anybody because I haven't heard anything from you or Jeffrey that there was.

**Michelle Rademacher:** Yes, not currently.

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay, so I don't know if we can reach out to volunteer coordinator, but having some additional people who we specifically have attend PRCS would be very helpful. So some retired individuals that have any background in behavioral health, social work, kind of things would be, you know, special educators, that kind of thing would be wonderful. I don't know if they can proactively look for individuals.

**Michelle Rademacher:** Are you asking if the volunteer coordinator can proactively look for individuals under that category? Yes.

**Suzie Hessman:** Yes.

**Michelle Rademacher:** And I know that she has attended some conferences and fairs. As I have as well and we post on some professional websites for recruiting, as well as all of our community engagement events. We do include the volunteer information in efforts to recruit for those.

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay.

### **Discussion and Review of Incident Reports and Behavior Plans**

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay. Then our last item before adjournment is discussion and review of incident reports and behavior plans. Does anybody have any questions, comments, concerns regarding IRS or behavior treatment plans? Sarah, how are we doing with our Incident report reviews? Are we behind with anything?

**Sarah McGovern:** Or.

**Suzie Hessman:** Does everybody have their

**Sarah McGovern:** I think everybody I can resend out assignments again,...

**Suzie Hessman:** Assignments.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

00:55:00

**Sarah McGovern:** I, nobody has contacted me with questions about that. But, we're a little behind, Of course, there was kind of a, I don't know if everybody else experienced this, but I noticed there was a rather large folder that I got that had incident reports kind of going back to November, and I think they sort of well I got a big glut of them so that could be some of it if some people are a little bit behind. But there are some areas that we are behind just because we have some members on leave. I think right now. So, I can go ahead and try and look at some of those and get them caught up. Those would be the main areas. I think it was physical abuse.

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay. I see, I've got some Suicides and...

**Kin Counts:** I think. I'm due to physical abuse.

**Suzie Hessman:** deaths here.

**Kin Counts:** Am I right? Sarah. I

**Sarah McGovern:** That you got. I think that you worked on some of that didn't you.

**Kin Counts:** Yeah, I think I work on the technical way too. Are there new ones that is not not done, and then you was not.

**Sarah McGovern:** No, I think that if you've been working on them and those are caught up, there's nothing that's egregiously behind, that's for sure. So

**Suzie Hessman:** I think. So I didn't see any comments on the May 22nd to May 31st. Wait. Or the week before that. So, Yeah, you can just double check their Kin.

**Sarah McGovern:** And physical. Yeah.

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay.

**Rebekah Gigliotti:** I mean, I can still do a couple of them, you know, a few every day, you know, since we're kind of behind a little that I can still do a few of them and then hopefully, by next meeting we could all be caught up with that and hopefully some of June's.

### **Adjournment**

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay, that would be great. All right, before we adjourned as anybody have anything else?

**Suzie Hessman:** Okay, I'm just looking at my calendar to see the next meeting would be July 12th at Five pm on the same platform. Thank you everybody for your participation. Appreciate it.

**Kin Counts:** Thank you.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
 District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
 Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
 Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Trudy O'connor: Have a nice.

Fredreaka Graham: Good night.

Joan McQuade: Good night.

Meeting ended after 00:58:19 🙌

**Information on the IR reviews**

**CLOSED Categories:**

*Death/ Suicide- Suzanne*

*Human Rights/Other Abuse - Teresa*

*Emergency Measures- Aimee*

*Physical Abuse - Yolanda*

*Anything else not assigned- Kin*

*Neglect - Sarah*

*DA/All IRs - Beth*

*PRC – ?*

*None currently- Tonia*

For **April IRs**, the Committee members have been loaded in the shared drive **236** incident reports. This included **13** open and **211** closed reports. ATPC had **12** totals with **1** open and **11** closed.

<b>Type</b>	<b>Open</b>	<b>Closed</b>
Accidental Injury	<b>0</b>	<b>47</b>
Consumer Missing	<b>0</b>	<b>0</b>
Deaths	<b>1</b>	<b>1</b>
Emergency Measures	<b>0</b>	<b>10</b>
Human Rights	<b>2</b>	<b>0</b>
Legal	<b>0</b>	<b>0</b>
Medication Errors	<b>1</b>	<b>21</b>
Neglect	<b>5</b>	<b>11</b>
Other Abuse	<b>3</b>	<b>2</b>
Other Behavior	<b>0</b>	<b>75</b>
Other Hospitalization, Unknown injury	<b>0</b>	<b>46</b>
Physical Abuse	<b>2</b>	<b>4</b>
Property Damage	<b>0</b>	<b>0</b>
Suicide	<b>0</b>	<b>5</b>
<b>TOTALS</b>	<b>14</b>	<b>222</b>



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)  
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)  
Public Meeting Minutes Summary  
Wednesday, June 14, 2023 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Number of Questions for QIM: members of the committee will comment on incident reports directly and the liaison will send them to QIM.

The Program Review Committee (PRC) is being attended to by **unknown**. Reviewed by Rebekah Gigiotti.

For **May IRs**, the Committee members have been loaded in the shared drive **739** incident reports. This included **16** open and **710** closed reports. ATPC had **13** totals with **0** open and **13** closed.

<b>Type</b>	<b>Open</b>	<b>Closed</b>
Accidental Injury	<b>1</b>	<b>93</b>
Consumer Missing	<b>0</b>	<b>30</b>
Deaths	<b>0</b>	<b>10</b>
Emergency Measures	<b>0</b>	<b>10</b>
Human Rights	<b>2</b>	<b>9</b>
Legal	<b>1</b>	<b>21</b>
Medication Errors	<b>0</b>	<b>47</b>
Neglect	<b>11</b>	<b>87</b>
Other Abuse	<b>0</b>	<b>53</b>
Other Behavior	<b>0</b>	<b>186</b>
Other Hospitalization, Unknown injury	<b>0</b>	<b>125</b>
Physical Abuse	<b>1</b>	<b>38</b>
Property Damage	<b>0</b>	<b>7</b>
Suicide	<b>0</b>	<b>7</b>
<b>TOTALS</b>	<b>16</b>	<b>723</b>

---

**Adjournment**

**Suzie Hessman** adjourned the meeting at 5:58pm. The next District East IOC meeting will be held on Wednesday July 12, 2023, at 5:00 pm. The meeting will be a virtual meeting.