



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Call to Order

Meeting called to order by Committee Chair, **Keith Jansen** The date is June 10, 2024, at 1:01 pm.

Meeting was held virtually via Google Meets

IOC Members:

- **Keith Jansen**
- **Octavia Lamb**
- **Mario Gutierrez** by phone **45
- **Rachel Kundrat**

Absent Members:

- **None**

Public in Attendance: **None**

Health Plan Liaisons:

- **Wendy Herring** (Mercy Care)

ADOA: **Larry Allen** (ADOA State IOC Liaison)

AHCCCS: **Fredreaka Graham & Christine Scott**

DDD:

- **Leah Gibbs** (DDD Bureau Chief of CARES Administration - Community, Advocacy, Resolution, Engagement, Support)
- **Richard Kautz** (DDD Volunteer Coordinator)
- **Micky Barnhart** (DDD Volunteer Coordinator)
- **Joseph Jensen-JJ** (DDD District South Quality Improvement Manager)
- **Andrew Miller** (DDD District South Quality Incident Specialist)
- **Joan McQuade** (DDD Manager, Member Advocate, CARES Administration)
- **Michelle Rademacher** (DDD Independent Oversight Committee Liaison, CARES Administration)
- **Morgan O'Hara** (DDD Independent Oversight Committee Liaison, CARES Administration)



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Updated: DDD District South IOC-Conference Call (2024-06-10 13:00 GMT-7) - Transcript

Attendees

+1 928-***-**45, Andrew Miller, Christine Scott, Fredreaka Graham, Joan McQuade, Joseph Jensen III, Keith Jansen, Lawrence Allen, Leah Gibbs, Michaela Barnhart, Michelle Rademacher, Morgan O'Hara, Octavia Lamb, Rachel Kundrat, Richard Kautz, Wendy Herring - OIFA Mercy Care

Transcript

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. People can also change the text after it was created. [Any blue italics transcription was missed by the transcriber.](#)

Call to Order

Michelle Rademacher: Just so everyone knows, our committee meetings are public meetings. We do record them and capture a transcript. The recording is posted to the ADOA IOC website and the transcripts are used for public written meeting minutes. Keith you are good to go.

Keith Jansen: Thank you everybody for attending this meeting.

Welcome and Introductions

Keith Jansen: My name is Keith Jansen. I'm District South Independent Oversight Committee chairperson.

Keith Jansen: Octavia, would you introduce yourself?

***Octavia Lamb:** My name is Octavia Lamb. I am a District South IOC committee member.*

Keith Jansen: Okay, we're having a little trouble hearing you.

Keith Jansen: Rachel.

Rachel Kundrat: I'm Rachel Kundrat, a parent provider. IOC committee member. Yay, did I get it, right?

Keith Jansen: Okay, Yep, Mario.

+1 928-***-**45: Good afternoon. My name is Mario Guterrez. I'm the IOC District South vice chair.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Conflict of Interest Disclosure

Keith Jansen: Okay, Michelle, could you give me some help with the others? Hold on, I gotta ask. I don't want to get in trouble. Does anybody have any conflict of interest with anything that's on the agenda today?

Keith Jansen: going once, and going twice, gone. I take that as no conflict of interests.

Welcome and Introductions

Keith Jansen: Okay, Michelle, would you please proceed?

Michelle Rademacher: Not a problem. Morgan will introduce yourself, please.

Morgan O'Hara: Yeah. Okay. Hi, I'm Morgan O'Hara. I am the DDD Independent Oversight Committee liaison for Districts Central, East and North and I am a member of the CARES Administration.

Michelle Rademacher: Thank you Morgan. and Richard

Richard Kautz: Hi, yes. Hello everyone. I am Richard Kaurz. I am one of two volunteer coordinators with the CARES Administration and thank you for having us.

Michelle Rademacher: Thank you. Joan.

Joseph Jensen III: Jo is not available for this meeting, Joe tracewell, our District South QA manager. He's not available today.

Michelle Rademacher: Okay, that's understandable. Thank you. You want to introduce yourself, JJ?

Joseph Jensen III: I'm JJ Jensen. I am a District South QA manager, one of them.

Michelle Rademacher: Thank you. Andrew

Andrew Miller: I'm Andrew Miller. I'm one of the fact finders in District South QA.

Michelle Rademacher: Thank you. Micky.

Michaela Barnhart: Hello, I'm Micky Barnhart. I am the other volunteer coordinator and part of the CARES Administration

Michelle Rademacher: Thank you. Micky. Larry.

Lawrence Allen: Larry Allen with, Arizona Department of Administration

Michelle Rademacher: Thank you. Leah.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Leah Gibbs: Good afternoon, everyone. I'm Leah Gibbs, the Bureau Chief of the CARES Administration with DDD.

Michelle Rademacher: Thank you. Fredreaka.

***Fredreaka Graham:** Hello this is Fredreaka Graham with AHCCCS.*

Michelle Rademacher: Thank you. Christine

Christine Scott: Hi, I'm Christine Scott with AHCCCS

Michelle Rademacher: Thank you. Joan

Joan McQuade: Hi everybody. I'm Joan McQuade with the CARES Administration.

Michelle Rademacher: Thank you. Wendy.

Wendy Herring - OIFA Mercy Care: Good afternoon. Everyone Wendy Herring with Mercy Care OIFA.

Michelle Rademacher: Thank you. My name is Michelle Rademacher. I'm the DDD Independent Oversight Committee liaison with the CARES Administration. Is there anyone I missed?

Michelle Rademacher: All right, Keith. You're good.

DDD Volunteer Coordinator Update

Keith Jansen: Hearing no voices. I'll take it everybody's been introduced. Okay I understand there's an update from the volunteer coordinators.

00:05:00

Michaela Barnhart: Yes. Yes, Richard, you want to kick us off? And provide some of the updates on our recruitment.

Richard Kautz: Yeah, so Micky and I have been out to several events here in Phoenix. We are slowly making our way out to District North. Next week we're going up there for an event to try to recruit; and then after that we're gonna see what we can do about getting over there to the South District to see if we can drum up business for both the IOCs and the PRCs. So we've done quite a few here in the valley. We've been able to obtain, both for the IOCs and the PRCs, to get some new members. So we're really excited. We are just, wherever we get a chance to put in a plug to try to recruit, both Micky and I are doing that. So, I don't know Micky, do you have some stats for us?



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Michaela Barnhart: I don't have any stats prepared. I'm sorry about that Richard. We do have a number of events coming up in District South though as we enter the fall season; and we recently with met up with Mary DeCarlo, part of the team, and she has a few Behavioral Health centered events that will be attending, later on to get some volunteer information out specifically in District South that we're looking forward to. We've also seen some success with our PRC applications coming in. We've seen quite a few four District South that we're able to get onboarded. So, when, I feel like when the PRC does better, the IOC does better and we're all able to rise as one. So as we're getting more people on, we're getting our awareness out there, and we're able to build those connections, especially with different agencies and just different Networks.

Michaela Barnhart: we've created an external newsletter blurb that we've been continuing to share out and we've been able to connect with, most recently Arizona Achieves which is part of Tempe Arc, which goes Statewide of the newsletter; and we were able to put in a blurb about both the PRC and the IOC. And we recently were at an event that had members Statewide or people Statewide. That was put on by Bloom 365, specifically about preventing violence of those youth with disabilities. And so I gave a very organic IOC plug during one of the discussions there and was able to make quite a few contacts and get some information out to people around the state at that event as well.

Keith Jansen: Yeah, when we're done with this meeting, could you please send me the information about the Tucson event?

Michaela Barnhart: Yeah, definitely. I'll let you know kind of when we're going down there, and then Keith if you have any other, if you guys or if anybody on the committee knows of any events happening in District South especially over the summer. I would not be mad about leaving the valley for a little bit and taking a trip elsewhere. So, please please let us know.

Keith Jansen: I mean up to 5,000 feet where I am.

Michaela Barnhart: Take me to the mountains.

Keith Jansen: Okay, anything else from the DDD volunteer coordinators?

Richard Kautz: Yeah, I can just do a little. I wanted to thank everybody, those that were able to attend the volunteer appreciation event that we had in April. This was the first one that Micky and I put together. And I went really well. We got feedback from the attendees. So I just want to say thank you to all the volunteers that volunteer on both the IOCs and the PRC's for the tremendous amount of time and effort that you put in with volunteering on these committees. So, we made it as special as we could for all the volunteers to do networking and to just enjoy, and celebrate each and every one of you. So we thank you very much.

00:10:00

Keith Jansen: Okay, Octavia, question. Did you go to that luncheon?



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Octavia Lamb: Unfortunately, I did not.

Keith Jansen: That means nobody from South District went.

Keith Jansen: Okay, if that's all then we're going to go on to the discussion about the. Rachel, you got a question.

Rachel Kundrat: I don't have a question, but I just want to say, even though I'm rarely able to make it to even Phoenix. I really appreciate the thought of the volunteers being recognized. That means a lot. So, thanks. Thanks for your work.

Michaela Barnhart: Absolutely. Thank you, Rachel. And we've got more on the recognition front coming down. You might have seen a survey in your email about a volunteer newsletter that we're working on developing to help with that recognition. That is so so deserved. So stay tuned for more information about that.

Discussion About the DS IOC 2023 - 2024 Annual Report

Keith Jansen: Okay. Rachel's anything else?

Rachel Kundrat: No.

Keith Jansen: Okay, so I was just noticing your hand was still raised. Discussion about the District South IOC 2023-2024 annual report.

Keith Jansen: Oops, I did it out of order, but As long as everything gets talked about. Hey.

Keith Jansen: Right now, just to let everybody know, I've been working very closely with Michelle to get data that usually takes a while to get together. So we're ahead in that category. For the IOC members, I will be sending you some questions that they'll be typed to you. Basically emailed to you. You can fill in the information, email it back to me and then I can use it on the report. Anybody have any objections to answering a couple of questions in the IOC?

+1 928-*-***45:** No, I'm good.

Keith Jansen: Rachel

Rachel Kundrat: No, Sir. Did you get shorter? You don't have to answer that, sorry. it looks nice

Keith Jansen: Okay, Octavia.

Octavia Lamb: No, I'll work on questions you give me.

Keith Jansen: Okay, I just want to make sure it was alright with you guys because I'm trying to get us all involved in all the aspects. Larry



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Lawrence Allen: Yes.

Keith Jansen: Are there any changes in the report format that we're going to need to know about.

Lawrence Allen: No changes, same as last year.

Keith Jansen: Just want to make sure. Better be safe than sorry.

Lawrence Allen: Yeah fiscal year ends at the end of the month, for the state.

Keith Jansen: Yep.

Lawrence Allen: Report's not to do till November. So you remembered first, plenty of time. but

Keith Jansen: We'll have it in long before then. Better safe that way...

Lawrence Allen: Okay.

Keith Jansen: That way if you see ours, And then all the sudden you get a bunch of others later on in the year, you're not rushed.

Keith Jansen: okay update from the, gosh. The Statewide chairs meeting. Rachel

Rachel Kundrat: I apologize. I'm on my phone and hi. Yeah, Rachel. So one of the things I was thinking about, it's like, how can I be?

00:15:00

Rachel Kundrat: Pardon me I get nervous public speaking or forgive me. How can I be most useful to the committee? I believe that our chair has experience giving instruction and he's been very thorough with that, but I had some ideas. And is it okay if I share that briefly?

Keith Jansen: Go ahead.

Rachel Kundrat: Okay, so one would be somewhat delegating tasks so that it's not all laid on that one person because I want to be responsible. I personally do best if I know exactly what is expected of me. I can always be perfect and meet those things right now always but I will do my best and I feel like it would give me a little bit more Direction and Clarity. I know in the beginning we talked about me taking over the nurse Med errors because it was something I had experience with. I'm not a nurse. But it doesn't matter, and then I think in the future going into the goals of the committee, at least for our committee, on. I've tried reaching out to parents. I'd like to continue to try and when I find those opportunities to connect with not only parents, but I do know I did have significant successful work experience prior to leaving the outside Workforce outside of the home workforce



Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM

Rachel Kundrat: With professionals, paraprofessionals, kind of to try to expand our reach and to whom, and I'll wrap up with this, but I would say that and then I don't wrap up, but into whom we have opportunity to reach. I think of one place that does hospitals and institutions and so what if I were to walk into let's say the Children's Clinic here in Tucson and give out information and maybe it'd be really positive for some paraprofessionals, to have on their resume that could stick with us a little while. So we have a quorum and I'm not trying to take by any means away from anything. So the volunteer program is doing and if I find of any more activities this summer, I'll let you know. I haven't seen anything major. And I don't know if anyone has any thoughts or feedback. I'm open to that.

Keith Jansen: Yeah, number one, you're our eyes and ears in your community. So, if there's something going on in Yuma, Mario is going to be the first to know about it, in Tucson, you will be, around here, I would be. So definitely if you see something coming up, just for instance, the Gem Mineral Show or whatever. One of the things you could do is let the volunteer coordinators know about it, especially. Another thing you could do is let me know. Recruiting is always on our goals. And I was going to send out some information to you because you don't usually answer your phone. So I'll send you some information. That it's all right. That's fine. As long as we can communicate. It's fine. But I was going to send you some actual assignments that I was hoping you'd take care of for us in the next year. We did bring that up in the meeting that you missed because you wanted it brought up. We did actually bring it up. And thank you for thinking about it, for you getting involved, putting something on the schedule. That shows involvement right there. But most definitely if you've gotten contacts with paraprofessionals or professionals, use them, twist their arms, go for it. I'm all in favor of it.

00:20:00

Keith Jansen: Richard

I'm sorry, Keith, I hit the wrong button. I apologize. But like Keith said, to everybody, anytime you can also try to talk to people. You guys are out there in the communities and that's an awesome way to network and try to get people to say, "Oh that's something I may be interested in." Then you can always toss them to me and Micky and then we'll talk to them more in depth and try to get them onboard. Thank you, Rache.

Keith Jansen: Rachel do you have their contact information?

Rachel Kundrat: I believe I do, if I don't, I may bother Michelle for it. Normally what I'm running into is that. It's like I get the bite on the hook and then I don't get any follow-up. And so even if I reach back out to them and say hey, would you be interested in doing this and I've also been emailing the brochures to occupational therapy, speech, Physical Therapy company was the first occupational therapist that I worked with. I've sent it to the Intermountain Clinic because my son no longer goes to the Intermountain autism clinic. I know DDD was just there giving information to parents on Saturday, but I know some of the people. and then I mean there's heavier hitters, but I don't know Dr. Romelina, psychiatrist, I don't know that he is gonna have time to do that, as much as I would love to I ...

Keith Jansen: Yeah, but he may have people in his organization. That's why you use the volunteer coordinators. If you can just get just a nibble they may be able to reel them in.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Rachel Kundrat: I don't have a nibble. I feel like

Keith Jansen: If you ever think you even got a nibble.

Rachel Kundrat: or else I would pass it on.

Keith Jansen: Pass it on.

Rachel Kundrat: I mean, I can't voluntarily give away, a wonderful Dr. 's, anybody's email and regardless, you know what I mean or contact information unless I have their permission.

Keith Jansen: Understand but you keep trying. Trust me, it's hard.

Rachel Kundrat: I believe you.

Keith Jansen: Okay.

Octavia Lamb: ([Undecipherable](#))

Keith Jansen: Yeah, I was gonna text her some of that information right now. That's not on the agenda.

Update from Volunteer Luncheon and Quarterly Statewide Chairs Meeting

Keith Jansen: Wanted to get an update on the volunteer luncheon, not the luncheon, annual meeting. I'm gonna get shot. Okay, Michelle, you were handling that.

Michelle Rademacher: Sure, Keith, you're not gonna get shot or at least not by anybody here for any mistakes during the meeting. So you're talking about an update from the Statewide meeting. Is that correct? okay.

Keith Jansen: Yes.

Michelle Rademacher: Yeah, I did write a little summary about the Statewide meeting that was held in April. Just to start off, though, the next Statewide meeting is scheduled for July the 24th at 5:30 pm if anyone's interested in attending that meeting.

00:25:00

Michelle Rademacher: During the April Statewide chairs meeting, there was a presentation during that meeting from Disability Rights Arizona. They gave a presentation on the DDD group home monitoring project for members with complex support needs. Disabilities Rights Arizona is performing this monitoring per the new law passed in 2022, which is House Bill 2865. It's called the COMIT program C-O-M-I-T and that stands for Compliance, Oversight, Monitoring and Investigations.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Michelle Rademacher: The state is looking for ways to improve services and protections for Arizona's developmentally disabled residents in group homes. And this is just the start of the project. They called it in their presentation the pilot program, so they're still currently evolving and developing. But they are going out to DDD group homes and doing visits in the group homes as part of their monitoring. A couple other things that occurred during the Statewide meeting is, the committee members learned that PRC has worked on various initiatives including increasing technical assistance and support for plan writers, to lessen the wait time for a behavior plan review, and approval paper review sessions will be available, when appropriate and also changing the process so plans can receive approval in 10 days for any that have requested revisions, instead of a disapproval; and lastly PRC stated they would add another PRC chair and review team due to the influx of plans coming in due to the critical need. As everyone's probably aware of, the population in Arizona is growing and our DDD population is as well. So there's going to be one extra Program Review Committee team that's going to be looking at Behavior plans as well.

Michelle Rademacher: Let's see. What else, the topic of recruitment was shared by the coordinators. They were at the Statewide meeting as well. And they also have shared information like the blurb that Micky was talking about. We have that in electronic form. If anybody needs help with their words for recruitment. I put that in the shared drive under resources for the committee members and then there's also a web form that I can share with the committee members so that you could send that out. It's kind of a survey, per se, kind of asking anybody that would be interested, where their interests lie, and their contact information and those kinds of things. So that it's something quick and easy that you could send out as well and I'll get the link and share that with the committee as well. And I think that's a lot of what was discussed. Not really sure. Is there anything that I'm kind of missing, Keith?

Keith Jansen: I just had a question for you. They didn't know this before but and this may fall outside your purview. Do they have any idea when they're going to have another PRC chair and team?

Michelle Rademacher: If they didn't give a specific date and time is when that team was going to be assembled and put together. They just said that that was one of their Improvement plans to help with going through more of the behavior treatment plans for approval.

Keith Jansen: Okay, I thought maybe within the past month or whatever, they might have come up with something. Didn't hurt to ask.

Michelle Rademacher: Sure.

Keith Jansen: Any other questions of Michelle from the IOC?

Discussion About the District South IOC Elections

Keith Jansen: Okay, guess not. Okay. I wanted to discuss about District South IOC elections. And I'm glad I got everybody on the line.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Keith Jansen: The Last time we had elections it was in August. And from what I understand we have no set SOP for when term in office starts, When we have to have elections, Etc. What I'm hoping is you folks could, the IOC members, could make it to the July meeting. Rachel, do you think you're going to be able to make the July meeting?

Rachel Kundrat: As long as they answer my phone. Sorry.

Keith Jansen: I'm not.

Rachel Kundrat: I am just kidding. I appreciate you, Keith. I appreciate your calling and checking on me and I want to say that to the crew because when I wasn't here he did call and that means a lot to me. And I plan on being here in July.

00:30:00

Keith Jansen: Okay, Mario.

+1 928-*-***45:** I do plan on being at the July meeting.

Keith Jansen: Okay, Octavia.

Octavia Lamb: I do plan on attending the July meeting.

Keith Jansen: Okay, what I would like to do, if it's okay with you guys, is have our elections at the July meeting with the stipulation that from then on, and Michelle can explain to me how to get it in an SOP for the District; it's just for our district; but the first meeting after the start of the Arizona new government year, that we have quorum, That would be the first month that we would have elections. Going forward and then after that taking office starts January 1st because those are easy dates to remember. Plus if we have the election in July, or if we could, later on down the line, we couldn't make it till August whatever, it still gives some time if there's a new chair that comes along for them to get some help and be made ready to become chair and to what do you call it? shadow the meetings to make them more ready for the position rather than just being thrown into it. Rachel.

Rachel Kundrat: This is why you don't want me here because I ask too many questions. So we're talking so the yearly elections for this committee?

Keith Jansen: It's every two years. The term of the chair and the vice chair is a two-year term.

Rachel Kundrat: Gotcha, and then you were saying that it would be kind of, just making sure I'm understanding, a supported term starting the next Quorum which was August and then they would officially take over January 2025.

Keith Jansen: Yeah, January 1st. Whatever, two years that comes in.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Keith Jansen: But yes, that way we have a set election date. It's the first Quorum that you can get in the Arizona New Year, which starts July 1st. And then the actual term of office starts January 1st.

Keith Jansen: And what I was hoping is, we won't do this till next month. But yeah, I'm putting a bee in your ears to let you know that if we vote, if we get a quorum next month, we can go ahead and do this and vote to make it so. And then we don't have to worry about the rest of the year. We couldn't get a quorum or something. We already had the elections. They were taken care of as soon as possible. That way that's why it would be the first meeting, after when the new Arizona New Year starts, that you have, that District South has a quorum. That's when elections will be held. So just for instance in two years if they didn't get a quorum until August or September, that's fine because it's the first meeting that we would have with a quorum.

Keith Jansen: Understand me Rachel?

Rachel Kundrat: I'm learning. I didn't realize Arizona starts July and I don't want to take up too much time. July 1st,...

Keith Jansen: first

Rachel Kundrat: And then I'll worry about the rest later.

Keith Jansen: Okay, just trying to keep you guys, an update and it's not just my decision to make, we'll have to vote on it. If we get a quorum in July, we will vote on these things.

Octavia Lamb: *Great questions by the way, Rachel.*

Keith Jansen: and Rachel I like having you here, asking questions is always a welcome thing. Because if you ask questions, you'll learn or you give out information about who you might know. Hey, that's great information to know you have access to some of those people. Good to know.

00:35:00

Keith Jansen: The more we can communicate, communication is always the key to having a well functioning committee.

Rachel Kundrat: *Isn't that what they always say to the person that asks too many questions? Haha.*

Keith Jansen: No, why do you think we have government people here? Some of them won't have any comments. Some of them will, doesn't matter. It's good to have them here.

Keith Jansen: Don't worry. Yeah, you don't hear any of us yelling. Okay, so that was what it. Does anybody have anything else they want to add to about what I said about elections?

Keith Jansen: Any of the IOC? Yes.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Lawrence Allen: Yeah this is Larry. First, the committee needs to consult the committee guidelines that are posted in approved that are on the IOC website to see if that conflicts with any of your plans; and secondly I would suggest that the incoming chair take over the committee the following month instead of having to wait.

Keith Jansen: The idea was...

Lawrence Allen: That's just

Keith Jansen: if A new chair gets elected in July. Let's say. They have a chance to shadow meetings.

Lawrence Allen: yeah.

Keith Jansen: To help detailed work on paperwork. After shadowing, run a couple of meetings under observation just like they do with Michelle with the Liaisons or with other professionals that are with the state. They do the same thing. They come in, shadow, they learn, they start to take care of a meeting and then they're ready for it rather than what happened to me when the chair left. It was just "High, get this done." I don't want that to happen to anybody else in the future and the more time they have, the better off they are. And according to regulations, I did not find anything that said when you can hold your elections, and when the person has to start office, it's up to the district.

Lawrence Allen: right

Keith Jansen: each individual District

Lawrence Allen: Yeah. You're correct, it is up to the committee to decide that information. I agree with that. I was just putting my two cents in on that. It is a small committee and we all work together as a team. So it's not like you're gonna be floundering out there and not knowing what to do or what direction to go in. We offer a lot of assistance with the Committees. So that's just my two cents. But again, I will leave it up to the committee to decide.

Keith Jansen: Yep. ...

Lawrence Allen: as a

Keith Jansen: I'm thinking not just for this coming cycle, but I'm trying to think long-term if we get something, like I said Michelle can help me get written down someplace that this is when we hold elections. This is when people take over because I'm trying to think 8- 10 years down the road. That this committee is still in existence. They have a regular playbook to go by. It's not something that has to be thought up on the Fly.

Keith Jansen: That's what I'm trying to think of. I'm not just looking at today.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Keith Jansen: I'm trying to plan for the future. and to me planning for the future is key.

Lawrence Allen: understand

Keith Jansen: Because if you fail to plan. Then you'll just fail.

Lawrence Allen: Yeah.

Keith Jansen: That's what I'm trying to do now because I've talked to Michelle. We don't have anything in an SOP, we don't have anything written down. So anybody could make up any rules they wanted.

Keith Jansen: I think we should have something written down about, just like the government does. This is when people take office. You start voting for. And in your presidential preference elections,...

00:40:00

Keith Jansen: Then you have your general and they don't take office for months after that. So it's in some ways the same thing. It's not, most elections are not held and you take office the next month. They don't work that way. For government and the system of being able to shadow, comes from the state employees themselves. This is the way the state runs their employees and according to what you told me was when we had to take law 2000 that says it's for the state employees for that purpose. We were considered state employees. If we keep following in that kind of format that the state itself has set out, As long as the IOC members vote for it, then we should be good to go. And this is my whole reasoning. So if I'm doing it wrong, Let me know.

Division of Developmental Disabilities Staff Updates

Keith Jansen: So we'll go on to Division of Developmental Disabilities staff updates.

Joseph Jensen III: For District South that are going to be fully staffed as of the 24th. We've gone about two months with a vacant incident entry coordinator position, which all of the team has been fantastic in shifting responsibilities and been able to keep the show going down here, but we're really looking forward to the 24th. We'll have an incident entry coordinator and we'll be fully staffed.

Keith Jansen: Okay, I'm gonna ask you a question. This is my ignorance, incident entry coordinator. What do they do?

Joseph Jensen III: They enter the incoming incidents. I mean there's quite an involved process with tracking and labeling. So they ensure that those incidents that are coming in from wherever they come in from are being entered timely.

Keith Jansen: Okay.

Joseph Jensen III: yeah, we've been able to move forward and Not been requesting other districts to assist with that. So I'm real proud of our team for doing that and I'm real happy.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Keith Jansen: yeah, prevent lagging

Joseph Jensen III: Yeah, and we're real happy to have a new person coming on board. We're excited.

Keith Jansen: Thank you very much. Sorry for my ignorance.

Keith Jansen: Anybody else?

Updates from Arizona Department of Administration

Keith Jansen: Okay, we're gonna have staff updates from Arizona Department of Administration. That would be Larry. Michelle, what'd you have to say?

Michelle Rademacher: I just thinking Leah usually has an update from DDD. I'm not sure if Joan does or not.

Keith Jansen: Okay. I didn't hear, I didn't see any hands.

Joan McQuade: I don't have any updates at this time?

Keith Jansen: Sorry, I thought somebody would have raised their hand. the

Michelle Rademacher: I'm pretty sure Leah.

Keith Jansen: Leah do you have any updates?

Michelle Rademacher: Is that okay?

Leah Gibbs: Keith, I'm happy to share updates, but if you would like Larry to go first, that would be fine also.

Keith Jansen: Okay, Larry since I called upon you, I'm sorry, Mrs. Gibbs. Larry, do you have any updates?

Lawrence Allen: No updates from ADOA this month Keith, but I will do too is, I'll get some clarification on the voting procedures and when new chairs are expected to take over the committee after a vote. So I'll get that back up to the group sometime here in the next few days.

Keith Jansen: Thank you very much. Miss Gibbs

Lawrence Allen: You're welcome.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Division of Developmental Disabilities Staff Updates

Leah Gibbs: Thank you Keith. So the Division continues to move forward with our Positive Behavior Support training. I mostly wanted to share some numbers with you. The Division has successfully trained and certified just over 508 trainers who are now providing the Positive Behavior Support training to the direct support Professionals in their organizations. We have received over 1,450 claims from vendors for staff who have been trained in the training. Raising Special Kids has just completed training and they have trained guests over 100 families and caregivers in the curriculum and the feedback we get continues to be incredibly positive. So we feel really, really good about that.

00:45:00

Leah Gibbs: We also continue to collect pre and post assessments from people who are taking the training as well as a survey from people who are taking the training; and in that survey, we're asking questions about the relevance of the training and how beneficial it is and if it has good examples and getting some general feedback that we can actually measure for data purposes on a likert scale with one being very dissatisfied and five being very satisfied and our overall scores for those are coming in at 4.61 out of five, which we believe also continues to demonstrate that people are seeing a great value in the training. We continue to do Outreach. We have scheduled train-the-trainers for June and we are looking at adding a Class July in possibly August because, as word gets out between agencies about how beneficial the curriculum is, We're seeing more agencies come forward and want to get their trainers trained. So that's outstanding as well. We have the training curriculum and all the components to that translated in Spanish and Raising Special Kids is about to announce their first Spanish-speaking class just for people who prefer to learn in Spanish. And then we also have, at the request of one of our vendor agencies who support some awful lot of direct care workers who speak Arabic, that we have translated the pre and post at their request into Arabic to help their classes be able to demonstrate their knowledge increase of the curriculum. So it's still going very well. We're still very excited about it. For purposes of the ARPA, meaning the American Rescue Plan Act, initiative funding that helped us be able to fund this project. We continue to pay any direct support professional that completes the training through the qualified vendor Network that are trained up to the date of September 30th of 2024. So they still have several months here to continue to provide that training and we continue to hope that people will see the value and continue to offer it post the ARPA funding of the project.

Leah Gibbs: So that's my big one. Also to let you know that we did complete our Bridging the Gap conference which was the conference for behavioral health professionals in helping build more capacity and best practices in working people who have occurring diagnoses with the developmental disability or intellectual disability and Behavioral Health diagnosis. That conference was in May in Tucson. There were over 260 participants. There were 15 different breakout sessions, 12 of them allowed for continuing education credit for Professionals who attended so that they were grateful about that. And there were 12 different Exhibitor tables there for resources to those professionals that attended.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Leah Gibbs: We are moving forward with planning the next conference in September for behavioral health professionals and rather than a two-day conference, They're adding a third day that is very specific for board certified Behavior analysts, their continuing education and their work that they do with the Dual diagnosis of IDD with a behavioral health diagnosis. So that is moving forward. And My last announcement is to let you all know that the Division is going to be conducting another self-care for caregivers conference this year. Last year was our first conference for Self-Care for Caregivers, and it was a really nice success to the families and caregivers that attended. So we're going to do two of them this year. We will do one in Tucson in early October, Phoenix in mid-October; and as they get closer, we'll create flyers and we'll get the word out so that people can register for those conferences. Keith, Thank you for the opportunity.

00:50:00

Keith Jansen: Yes, ma'am. I'm sorry. I was thought of you to raise your hand. I'm sorry.

Updates from Integrated Health Plans

Keith Jansen: Okay updates from Integrated Health Plans?

Wendy Herring - OIFA Mercy Care: Hi everyone, I don't have any specific updates, but I will say that everything that Leah shares, I have been sharing at my meetings. So I represent our voices there and have been talking about the volunteering opportunities and we're working on getting something out through Mercy Care, but does anybody have anything further for me or questions they want to ask?

Keith Jansen: Going once, going twice.

Wendy Herring - OIFA Mercy Care: Allright. It's a pleasure to be here.

Keith Jansen: All right. Any other Integrated Health Plan Representatives? I thought we had at least one other.

Updates from DDD IOC Liaison

Keith Jansen: Updates from the DDD liaison. IOC liaison.

Michelle Rademacher: Hi. Hi everybody, just a quick update.

Michelle Rademacher: In case you didn't see the email there was a newsletter communication that came from the volunteer coordinators. They sent a link to a newsletter survey and that form was included in a May 31st email. If you want me to forward that I'd be happy to do so, just let me know. They're looking for input on their new idea. And I think the newsletter's gonna be something good and most definitely something you can share that might even help with recruiting.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Michelle Rademacher: Your incident data for the month of May, the committee members will receive in the shared drive a total, once we've got them all uploaded for you, of 703 incident reports for the month of May. On this, there were 35 opens and 668 closed reports. The IOC committee also sent 14 questions on those incident reports to the Quality team in May, and we did get a group of responses from last week's questions on incident reports just back today from the quality team. If anyone ever has any questions on looking at incident reports or looking at the Shared drive or what happens with the comments and questions, just let me know. We liaison's, Morgan and I, both receive those via email and then we put them on a spreadsheet and share them with the quality team so that they can input the responses. It's a really good collaborative document we have between the two teams. And then the thing I like to let you know about on a regular basis is the DDD Public Town Hall meetings for members, families, providers. DDD typically holds those on the first Thursday of every month. I did check this morning on the calendar. I did not see a July date, but I did see August 1st on there from six to eight pm and that is a virtual meeting and that's it for my updates. Thank you, Leah.

Leah Gibbs: I just want to share that the reason you don't see a July is it fell on the fourth of July and as a state holiday, we won't be doing one.

Keith Jansen: Shucks.

Michelle Rademacher: makes perfect sense

Keith Jansen: Breaks my little old heart. Okay.

Discussion, Review, and Possible Action on Committee Membership

Keith Jansen: Discussion, review, and possible action of committee membership. One of the things I wanted to ask, Mario.

+1 928-*-**45:** Yes.

Keith Jansen: You said you might have somebody interested in your neck of the woods.

+1 928-*-**45:** I do and I will follow up with him. He's from the local agency here in Yuma that I spoke to while I was in Orlando a couple of weeks ago.

Keith Jansen: Okay, always remember if you need anybody else to talk to him, You can always get in touch with the liaison or, not Michelle, but the volunteer liaisons

+1 928-*-**45:** Okay, I'll do that.

Chat Message: Richard Kautz: Hi Mario, the volunteer coordinator information is dddvolunteers@azdes.gov



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

00:55:00

Keith Jansen: So, if maybe you can't answer one of their questions or something like that, or they want to talk to somebody up to chain, so to speak, volunteer coordinators are available, and if nothing else Michelle's available, too. So just letting you know that you're not out there alone. And you've got my phone number.

+1 928-***-***45: Okay. Thank you.

Keith Jansen: If you ever want to send them, they want to talk to me. I got no problem with it.

+1 928-***-***45: Okay. Thank you.

Keith Jansen: Do, Rachel, do you have any updates on membership right now?

Rachel Kundrat: Hi, sorry, I am here. On additional membership?

Keith Jansen: Yeah, do you have any particular. Okay. that's

Rachel Kundrat: I don't have any fish on the hook. I will hopefully be going to some more different events and social skills and different agencies. And I email or ask, I don't just start posting everywhere, but I'll see is like. I'm sorry. I'm getting muddled. I will keep reaching out and I should be going to some new agencies that I haven't been back to for a while. And so I will ask them or find out who to get in contact with them, and also as well as what we talked about earlier and I will make not just a mental note, but I'll put it down on paper because I'm that age now.

Keith Jansen: Okay, one of the things you might watch out for and specially, let the volunteer coordinators know, is last month they had a big job fair in Tucson, one of their biggest. There were thousands upon thousands of people that went through there.

Rachel Kundrat: Why didn't you tell him?

Keith Jansen: I did.

Keith Jansen: But you might have had more specific information.

Rachel Kundrat: I missed the job fair. I've been buried with my house flooding and it's no excuses, but I'm trying to literally keep my head above water, but I think I've got a new good contractor. So I'll take any positive vibes with it and I do see. I will keep that in mind because that doesn't always stick out to me, job fair. I don't know. I think too much. Okay, but I will relay job fairs as well.

Keith Jansen: It worked out pretty good for Michelle and I when we had one down here.

Keith Jansen: Octavia, anything in your neck of the woods?

Octavia Lamb: No.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

Keith Jansen: Just wanted to make sure that everybody had a shot.

Octavia Lamb: Nothing to report.

Keith Jansen: Nothing in my neck of the woods right now. Most people are staying inside and staying right near an air conditioner because of the Heat. They don't even want to be next to anybody else in the house. That's so I've heard from people in multiple houses. So we don't have any discussion or review of incident reports and...

Keith Jansen: Yeah, anybody who's curious? And even some of those who aren't because you might get them curious.

Octavia Lamb: Keith with incident reports and looking at them... to like designating specific topics

01:00:00

Octavia Lamb: chance to read the incident reports or... (unintelligible, breaking up) designating specific topics, Are we just (unintelligible, breaking up) now?

Keith Jansen: I was going to send out communications on specific things people might want to do a little later, one at a time.

Octavia Lamb: Okay, I think that's a great idea.

Keith Jansen: Okay.

Discussion and Review of Incident Reports and Behavior Plans

Keith Jansen: As far as the behavior plans and IRs, We'd have to go into executive session if it was anything more than a general question. JJ

Joseph Jensen III: Yes.

Keith Jansen: I just say you guys are doing a good job, bang up job and Yeah, I'm glad you're getting the help you need and so Will be a little less of a backup on you guys.

Joseph Jensen III: Yeah, we got a great team here.

Keith Jansen: Rachel, sorry to hear about your Problem at your house; you're flooding going on. If I was a plumber, I'd help you out.

Rachel Kundrat: Thank you. It's only been a year since the two of the bathrooms have been demolished. So no big deal.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

ADJOURNMENT

Keith Jansen: Then we're just going to ask for a motion to end the meeting. An IOC member ...

+1 928-*-**45:** I second that

Keith Jansen: We got to have a motion first.

+1 928-*-**45:** motion to end the meeting

Keith Jansen: Anybody second it? Okay, we have a motion.

Octavia Lamb: I second that motion.

Keith Jansen: We have any discussion.

Keith Jansen: Hearing no discussion who votes to end the meeting now?

+1 928-*-**45:** I

Octavia Lamb: I

Keith Jansen: Rachel

Rachel Kundrat: I

Keith Jansen: Okay as of 2:02 on the 10th of June, this meeting is dismissed.

Keith Jansen: Thank you all for being very patient with me and giving us the updates you have.

Lawrence Allen: Yeah. Thanks, Keith.

+1 928-*-**45:** Thank you.

Keith Jansen: Sorry, I kept you two minutes late.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities
District South Independent Oversight Committee
Meeting Minutes & Action Items
Monday, June 10, 2024 – 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM**

The next regularly scheduled District South IOC meeting is on July 8, 2024 at 1pm.

For **May** 2024 IRs, the Committee members will have been given **703** incident reports in the Shared Drive. This included **35** open and **668** for closed reports.

Type	Open	Closed
Accidental Injury	0	133
Consumer missing	0	9
Deaths	3	6
Emergency Measures	0	0
Human Rights	2	8
Legal	0	2
Medication Errors	4	72
Neglect	10	29
Other Abuse	6	21
Other-Behavior	1	197
Other -Injury unknown	4	173
Physical Abuse	5	18
Property Damage	0	0
Suicide	0	0
TOTALS	35	668

Number of Questions for Quality Improvement Manager - **14 total** : Members of the committee will send the incident reports questions to the DDD Liaison, **Michelle Rademacher and Morgan O'Hara**.

Adjournment

Keith Jansen adjourned the meeting at 2:02 pm. The next District South IOC meeting will be held Monday, July 8, 2024, at 1:00 pm. The meeting will be a virtual meeting.