



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Call to Order

This meeting is being held virtually via google meets.

Meeting called to order by Committee Member, **Suzanne Hessman**. The date was August 14, 2024, at 5:02 pm. The address of the meeting was Virtual, no physical address.

Welcome and Introductions

Attendance in Person: **None. This meeting was virtual.**

Attendance by Google Meets unless otherwise noted:

- **Suzanne Hessman, (Chair)**
- **Sarah McGovern, (Vice-chair)**
- **Elizabeth (Beth) Bird**
- **Kin Counts**
- **Teresa Brooks**
- **Selina Kataria**
- **Aimee Griffith-Johnson**
- **Tonia Schultz (non-voting member)**

Absent: **None**

Public in Attendance: **Keith Jansen**

Arizona Department of Administration (ADOA): **Larry Allen**

Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS): **Fredreaka Graham**

Healthcare Plan Liaison: **Ian Wilson** (United HealthCare), **Wendy Herring** (Mercy Care)

DDD staff and guests:

Leah Gibbs (DDD Cares Administration - Bureau Chief)

Christina Hedges (DDD Cares Administration - Office Of Individual & Family Affairs Administrator)

Katrien Filez (DDD PRC Administrator DE & DN)

Bernice Sanchez (District East Program Review Committee)

Trudy O'Connor (District East Quality Improvement Manager)

Joan McQuade (Office of Individual and Family Affairs Manager)

Morgan O'Hara (IOC Liaison)

Michelle Rademacher (IOC Liaison)

The Committee, DDD, AHCCCS, UHC& Mercy Care Employees introduced themselves.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

This editable transcript was computer generated and might contain errors. Liaison has edited some of the transcript for accuracy and ease of reading. Any blue italics transcription was missed by the transcriber.

DDD District East IOC-Conference Call line (2024-08-14 17:01 GMT-7) – Transcript

Attendees

+1 480-***-**56, +1 480-***-**98, +1 602-***-**76, Aimee Griffith-Johnson, Berenice Curro Sanchez, Christina Hedges, Joan McQuade, Katrien Filez, Keith Jansen, Kin Counts, Lawrence Allen, Leah Gibbs, Michelle Rademacher, Morgan O'Hara, Sarah McGovern, Selina Kataria, Suzanne Hessman, Teresa Brooks, Tonia Schultz, Trudy O'Connor, Wendy Herring - OIFA Mercy Care

Call to Order

Transcript

Suzanne Hessman: Did it start? We will officially call to order the meeting for the independent oversight committee today. Is August the 14th? It is 5:02 pm.

Suzanne Hessman: Morgan, please read the conflict of interest statement for us.

Conflict of Interest

Morgan O'Hara: Absolutely. Do we have anyone who has to disclose a conflict of interest? If there is, the committee member needs to disclose why.

Welcome and Introductions

Suzanne Hessman: Okay, our next agenda item is welcome and introductions. I am Suzanne Hessman. I am the chairperson. Sarah

Sarah McGovern: Sarah McGovern, Vice-chairperson IOC East

Suzanne Hessman: Kin



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Kin Counts: Good evening. Everyone Kin Counts Committee member.

Suzanne Hessman: Teresa

Teresa Brooks: Teresa Brooks Committee Member IOC East

Suzanne Hessman: Aimee

Aimee Johnson: Aimee Griffith-Johnson, Committee Member

Suzanne Hessman: Tonia

Tonia Schultz: Tonia Schultz, I am the facility representative for the ATPC and a non-voting member.

Suzanne Hessman: did I miss any of the committee members?

Beth Bird: Elizabeth Bird, IOC Member

Selina Kataria: And Selina Kataria

Suzanne Hessman: there we go. Thank you.

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you both. Would you please run through our non-committee member attendees?

Morgan O'Hara: Absolutely, Wendy. Do you want to start us up?

Wendy Herring: I knew you would do that, Morgan; good evening, everyone. Wendy Herring with OIFA Mercycare

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you, Larry.

Lawrence Allen: Good evening. Larry Allen with ADOA.

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you, Frederica.

Morgan O'Hara: Maybe, how about Leah? Frederica,...

+1 480-*-**98:** You guys hear me? Okay, sorry about that.

Morgan O'Hara: there she is. Yeah.

+1 480-*-**98:** I was trying to unmute this is Frederica Graham with AHCCCS.

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you, Leah.

Leah Gibbs: Good evening, everyone. I'm Leah Gibbs, the bureau chief of Care's administration at DDD.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you, Christina.

Christina Hedges: Good evening. I almost said good afternoon, Wendy. You're wearing off on me. I am Christina Hedges. I am the DDD OIFA administrator.

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you, Katrien.

Katrien Filez: Hello, everyone. Katrien Filez PRC administrator with DDD.

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you, Berenice.

Berenice Curro-Sanchez: Berenice Curro Sanchez, PRC Chair with District East

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you, Joan.

Joan McQuade: Hello, everyone, Joan McQuade, CARES Administration Manager, here supporting Michelle and Morgan

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you, Trudy.

Trudy O'Connor: Good evening, Trudy O'Connor, District East Quality Assurance Manager

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you, Michelle.

Michelle Rademacher: Hi, Michelle Rademacher, Independent Oversight Committee Liaison with the CARES administration.

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you. I'm Morgan O'Hara. I'm the other DDD liaison. I'm sorry, my son. This sounds like he's wrestling out there. But is there anyone that we missed?

Morgan O'Hara: All right. That's all the introductions.

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you, Morgan. I was just looking at our new agenda. Is there something that I'm supposed to do with it? The committee must approve it before we proceed.

Morgan O'Hara: I'm still determining. I understand what you're saying.

Suzanne Hessman: I was reading underneath where it says so it says de consent agenda items. And then it says the consent agenda items will be considered for approval as a single action. Unless a council member wishes to remove an item for discussion. So are we supposed to take a vote on that prior to handling those agenda items

00:05:00

Morgan O'Hara: I'm not...



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Suzanne Hessman: I was just trying to use the way it was worded.

DDD Staff Updates

Suzanne Hessman: No. Okay, thank I just getting used to this new format. So I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something that I wasn't supposed to do. So let's go to D1 with DDD staff updates Morgan. Do you want to take the lead on going through everybody for me?

Morgan O'Hara: Sure, Leah, would you like to start us off?

Leah Gibbs: I would like to have Christina do that, and I'm here to answer questions. Okay. Thank you.

Christina Hedges: Hi everyone. Good evening. I've got it right this time just a few quick updates from our end and Care is an OIFA. We are continuing to roll out our Positive Behavior Support training to Direct Care Professionals as well as family members and caregivers. we just hit 6,000 direct support professionals and trainers being trained, which I think is far more than we were expecting and we're so excited for just how well this is gone. we're currently seeing a 22% increase in knowledge. So every participant takes an assessment before the test before the training and then an assessment after the training and when comparing those scores we're seeing a 22% increase which is again, it's amazing. we also are doing a survey that looks at the applicability and satisfaction of the training on a

Christina Hedges: of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest and we're seeing of an average of 4.58. So people are feeling that the training is, really going to help them in their jobs or in their lives and they're all so I think enjoying it which is Really cool if you ask me. Additionally one of our other ARPA projects that we are working on is Bridging the Gap conference for Behavioral Health Providers. This is to assist behavioral health providers in working more closely with members of the DDD community. The next conference will be held in Phoenix at Desert Willow Conference Center on September 5th 6 and 7th the registration for that has gone out and I'm sure we can get you all the information if you need it. And the final thing that we've got in the works is we are working on finalizing the agenda for our second annual self care for caregivers conference. We launched this last year and we had such great feedback that not only are we doing it again this year, but we're going to be doing it in Tucson and in Phoenix, so it's very exciting that we're going to be able to grow this and really support the community as a whole so that conference will be in Tucson on October 3rd and in Phoenix on October 16th. That's all I've got. Does anybody have any questions?

Suzanne Hessman: That's all good news. Thank you.

Christina Hedges: Thank you.

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you.

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you. I'm Katrien. Do you have any updates for us this evening?



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Katrien Filez: Sure, I do. and we have new additional PRC team they are onboarding and training. So this is a sixth PRC team that will support the current five districts PRC teams with any overflow they have so they're not assigned to a district your Statewide basically and they will be in charge of any emergency PRC reviews. So we are super excited to have that theme on board and getting them ready. And another update would be just maybe a friendly reminder that by the end of this month. We have the revised Behavior Support manual going into effect. I believe on August 28th. so that will also be a quite a momentum that we need that. We have created since a long time we have so just to recap in a few words. This is only the revised a revision of the Behavior Support manual. So some updates clarifications were done. I believe it went earlier this year through public comments. but all these are within article 9 or in alignment with the article mines, so if there would be any concerns or questions about that, I want to make sure that you have that information. So I'm sure we will get questions. We are also thinking of different ways how to bring teams providers paper plan authors up to date of any of these updates and changes

00:10:00

Katrien Filez: and I think Berenice had a brilliant idea in creating a mass email to any behavior plan authors. We PRC are aware of and started this week with sending out a message to them. He heads up the revised Behavior Support manual is coming up. In one of the big items is the behavior template. That will be temp mandatory from that day on so from August 28th. I think the majority of teams have adopted that template already.

Suzanne Hessman: Great. Thank you.

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you Berenice. Do you have any more updates?

Berenice Curro Sanchez: I had just a question that came to us last week. We had a team asking questions about a parent requesting records from IOC. So we would like to know if there's any way that we can refer them to somebody from IOC or what will be the appropriate. process

Suzanne Hessman: I'm sorry that for me it broke up when you were saying that can you repeat what the request does?

Berenice Curro Sanchez: of course. Yes, they are wanting records from IOC. So they wanted to see if PRC can provide this position or I'm not exactly sure they were not able to clarify. What kind of record But would like to know if there's anybody that we can refer them to.

Suzanne Hessman: So this is somebody who works for DDD or this is a family member who is the person asking for the information?

Berenice Curro Sanchez: We receive the email from my support coordinator, but he was asking on behalf of I believe it was the parents of a member.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Suzanne Hessman: So I would think that that request could go to Michelle or Morgan and then if they need approval or whatever from us they could ask for it. Michelle go ahead

Michelle Rademacher: My understanding is that DDD has an official channel or process for records request and that is on the website under records request.

Berenice Curro Sanchez: Thank that's pretty much the answer that we give to them. We just weren't sure if there was anything that we needed to notify IOC or there was anything else for us to do. Thank you.

Suzanne Hessman: Joan

Joan McQuade: If they're just wanting records of previous meetings all of that information, all the meeting minutes are posted on the ADOA website. So, I mean it's going to depend on what they're looking for as far as Anything to do with the IOC would be meeting records which are available to the public because these are public meetings if they're wanting. Records that are pertaining to a specific member then they would have to go through the channel that anyone would go through to be able to request records and specify what records they're wanting and then that would be done through a records request.

Berenice Curro Sanchez: Thank you

Joan McQuade: You're welcome.

Suzanne Hessman: In our annual reports are on the website too. So there isn't actually a lot of other records that we Purdue

Suzanne Hessman: but yes if there's anything. Let us know.

Berenice Curro Sanchez: Thank you

00:15:00

Morgan O'Hara: Thank you Trudy. Do you have any updates?

Trudy O'connor: Yeah, so let's see last month. I was out for a little bit. I went back to Montana for just a quick trip. And let's see as far as our vacancies. We've got one incident specialist fact finder position that's vacant. As a heads up, we received a large volume of incoming incident reports last month. There's a total of 850. We also are continuing to provide monthly technical assistance on using the new incident report form to our qualified vendors during their monthly provider meetings. And those have been going pretty well, I think we're almost done. if we didn't already finish the last one. I'm not positive. Let's see the unit's been super busy just doing policy reviews of all of our updates. I'm sure you guys get those too and just updating trainings. So we've been very busy.

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you.

Morgan O'Hara: Joan, Do you have any updates for us?



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Joan McQuade: Yes, I do. Have a couple. First off you're gonna start seeing the category of community other incidents again. During the pandemic that's where all of the covid incidents whether someone was exposed or being tested or tested positive. They were all in the community other category. and because of that huge volume It was determined that we weren't going to be redacting and sending those out. I just want everyone to know that we have Redacting those incidents. I would say what for the last week or so, Michelle.

Suzanne Hessman: Can you tell us what kind of incidents would be included?

Joan McQuade: It could be anything to do with the community. if there was a community complaint Something that might have happened out in the community with a member. There's not a lot of them. Normally. It's a very small group. the thing was when we were using it for covid it was selected...

Suzanne Hessman: Okay.

Joan McQuade: because it was a small group. And I mean I was still in quality when we were getting those incidents and...

Suzanne Hessman: Okay.

Joan McQuade: there were hundreds of them every month. From each of the districts. So it just would have been really overwhelming. The other thing that I wanted to mention, I already talked to you last month about the change. In redaction and not providing member names we talked about that last month. we have recently interviewed and selected a candidate to be our fourth redactor. So at this point, we're just waiting for everything to process through HR. And we should hopefully be chipping away at that backlog of incidents. I believe now. We're about a little bit past mid July in getting incidents out to you folks. Excuse me. And we're also going to be having other people from the Care's Administration assisting when they have downtime with their other duties. So that we can get that backlog down and back to a normal level.

Suzanne Hessman: Teresa you have a question for Joan.

Teresa Brooks: Yes, I'm wondering it with the new electronic system for the incident report. is the redaction going to or they can be able to redact electronically instead of manually like you're doing now.

Joan McQuade: In the section where the member's name is on the report would be redacted. I do not know if they would be redacting all of the information. in the description or in the notes if there's any identifying information in the fact finding notes in the summary notes. Trudy

00:20:00

Trudy O'connor: I believe that all of that is kind of built into Portal when we switch over to portal. I think that's what you're asking Teresa.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Teresa Brooks: all that so instead of having the name of the member. We could have staff member one or two or something. And then the member. in place of the name possibly

Joan McQuade: Yeah, we're not redacting staff names. That's not something that is part of compliance for HIPAA. It's just their family members anyone that lives with them. Whether it's at home or in a group home,...

Teresa Brooks: Okay.

Joan McQuade: That's the information that's being removed. I don't know if all that other information. Is going to be redacted. Because how would the system know that Susie is her sister? And Mary Jones who may have a different last name. is the parent if it's not identified Leah.

Leah Gibbs: Yeah, there are fields in the portal that will Auto redact when you put in an incident, you put the member's name in and it'll Auto redact but anything that's a narrative it has to be read through and it has to be redacted and I know you're saying rather than manually it's a software program that we use that redacts, but it's still has to be done. Manually per se it's not like we take a marker the document.

Teresa Brooks: All right.

Leah Gibbs: That makes sense. Yeah.

Joan McQuade: Thank you, Leah.

Suzanne Hessman: When is that supposed to take place? That we're switching over to that.

Leah Gibbs: Suzanne, I would love to be able to say we have a date but there are things happening behind the scenes as you...

Suzanne Hessman: Okay.

Leah Gibbs: we updated our incident report form and the portal itself was designed to a different form and we're working with AHCCCS so that the portal will accept the fields from our form and that's taking time and...

Suzanne Hessman: Okay.

Leah Gibbs: we don't want to lose the Integrity of the hard work we did to get more information for you all through those incident reports. So I know that Carl who is from DDD Carl Burek is working with AHCCCS and periodically I get updates to say we're working on it Leah we're working on it, but there's not going to be a transition without you all receiving training. And my understanding is Federica who normally attends. These meetings is the person from AHCCCS who will be providing that training to all the IOC members.

Suzanne Hessman: Okay. Kin.



Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM

Kin Counts: All Yes the evening everyone. So my question with is when they do the redaction that the team I mean, do they have a guideline there? How much to take away how much to not mention because different IRS that I went through it's like A pretty tells make you understand some are bits and pieces missing and it's like What I trying to tell me and without the understanding is very difficult for us to say this. there's an issue of violation or not. So I just wonder is this then the

Leah Gibbs: There's actually in the rules that outline the IOC that are posted on the ADOA web page. It's specifically spells out for purposes of the work that the IOC does this is what has to be redacted. and so I know that Joan has been working really hard to make sure that the team is only redacting what they have to redact and we're trying very hard and we're very sensitive to the fact that you want to be able to read it through and understand who the players are but we have to comply with the law. and...

Joan McQuade: right

Leah Gibbs: so we're actively working on and Joan. Is there anything you'd want to add to that?

Joan McQuade: I know that there was a lot of confusion when we were removing staff names because if there was more than one staff person that was involved. There would just be all kinds of holes. Excuse me, and especially if they had put married the program coordinator and Suzy the group home manager, we would just take out the Mary and the Suzy. So you could kind of still follow along. But if they just were throwing out multiple staff names. I know that had become really challenging to understand because it would look gibberish. I know exactly what you're talking about pin because we go in and audit them before we send them to you. So I think there's going to be less of that.

00:25:00

Joan McQuade: Because it's going to be the member's name. And then if there's a guardian or they're talking about a family member or a roommate. Or sibling Anyone that lives with the members so in a group home, it would be the other members in the group home. If they lived at home or independently, it would be any of their roommates or family members that they lived with. I think it'll be a little easier. Having all the staff names there because then it's a clearer understanding of who did what does that make sense?

Kin Counts: Yes. Yes. So income to family members names will be removed. But how do we know it's a family member do they say mother or brother or

Chat Message: Michelle Rademacher: Arizona Article 41-3804 section K. states... "For the purposes of this subsection, "personally identifiable information" includes a person's name, address, date of birth, social security number, tribal enrollment number, telephone or fax number, e-mail address, social media identifier, driver license number, places of employment, school identification or military identification number or any other distinguishing characteristic that tends to identify a particular person."



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Joan McQuade: That's only going to be. And in most cases, we're not going to know about family members unless it's clarified. We may know the guardian's name. Sometimes we have to do some checking to make sure that we're removing that information. But the thing is when the incidents right now are either entered directly into IMS by some of the providers. They directly enter. So we have no control over how they write their incidents. And the people who send an electronic copy of the incident report. quality has to copy and paste whatever is there. They can't add anything to it. They can't take anything away from it. So, it can make it a little challenging because different providers. Have different ways of putting information and I know Trudy was talking about working with the providers. There is one provider that will always use the term PBS for the member. For purse that stands for person being served. And they have a very formatted way of entering their incidents and most of the larger agencies are like that some of the smaller agencies. They may not have as much experience entering incidents because they're smaller agency. they don't have to be entering as many incidents so that can be a little tricky.

Joan McQuade: Aimee

Aimee Griffith-Johnson: Hi, so I'm just kind of going off what Ken is saying, I work at disability rights, Arizona. And so I'm a little confused. Are you saying that? The agencies or the DDD doesn't have a guideline for how IRS are written as far as how the providers are actually supposed to write those what information they need how much they need to clarify and so forth. Is that what I'm hearing?

Joan McQuade: There are certain processes that they're supposed to be following. but again, as Trudy was saying earlier they are providing provider training for how to enter incident reports Trudy

Trudy O'connor: Yeah, they're supposed to write it in chronological order. They're supposed to refer to people by their relationship to the member, but we receive reports from all kinds of sources. It could be just a neighbor that doesn't have that kind of information. So we can't always control. what those things look like and still be timely or ask that things be phrase differently. It's just the volume is too great to expect that much. But I think then that's where the redaction comes into play. But if they're still remaining questions, that can go to the liasion. I'm in we can clarify whatever needs clarified for you guys by referencing The Originals. but just like Joan and I would each describe this meeting differently and we would refer to people differently, there's all kinds of variations that people use language differently, so it's difficult to Get It All Uniform across the board

00:30:00

Joan McQuade: Leah

Leah Gibbs: Thank you, and I just want to add a little bit more Aimee The Your question is there was a ton of work done with the IOCs with Jenny Roundtree before she retired from the division to add more even content to the form itself with directions. and yes, there are policies and there are supports to help people about how to complete the document. But I know the level of turnover that agencies have the number of direct care workers who are actually supposed to be completing those documents and it doesn't really matter how much we spoon feed. Those things were going to get a variety of responses, but we don't



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

want the fact that somebody submitted it differently than we want to slow the process when it's something we need to be acting upon. So we have a lot of leeway in that. but

Aimee Griffith-Johnson: Yeah, that makes sense. And then that just kind of. Gears me to my second question as far as we redacting certain things like in my division that I work is straight with with Federal systems with Social Security specifically, so my guidelines and my policies that I do in my line of work are to protect the beneficiary not The Rep payee. So are you guys by redacting? everybody's name Is your goal and objective to redact? Specifically to protect the beneficiary or all parties involved. I haven't read this guideline. That's why I'm merely just asking these questions.

Leah Gibbs: It's really okay. the law really does kind of outline it Aimee but it's about redacting our member information and anything that could lead to who that member is which is why we redact Guardians and we redact relationships to the member. We're not redacting staff. They're not protected. It's about the member.

Aimee Griffith-Johnson: That's what I wanted to clarification on. Thank you so much Leah.

Suzanne Hessman: and Amy Michelle put the actual Statute in the text bar so that you can read it and it's very specific which things and...

Aimee Griffith-Johnson: Perfect.

Suzanne Hessman: so to what Leah said the format that they've made to the incident reports has Improved the quality of the incident reports dramatically because it really walks them through a lot of things and has a lot of check this box kind of stuff where that wasn't happening before. I mean, it was really in my opinion the wild west before the way that the incident reports were coming in and you could have incident reports that had such little information and others that were Meandering and had lots of information. So this work that they have done dramatically has improved that process. So we're grateful for that and then there have been changes. Constantly, it seems like on what they've redacted and what they haven't redacted. So I'm glad to hear now that they're going to stop redacting the staff names because they shouldn't be protected. They're Working for the benefit of the member.

Joan McQuade: Any other questions for me?

Joan McQuade: Thank you, everybody.

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you, Joan.

Morgan O'Hara: All right. I think that is all the DDD staff.

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you, Morgan. Okay.

Updates for Arizona Department of Administration

Suzanne Hessman: All right, D2 updates from Arizona Department of Administration Larry.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Lawrence Allen: Good evening. I'm not sure why my cameras aren't coming on, but it's good to see everybody. There have been no new updates from ADOA this month.

Lawrence Allen: Any questions or concerns that I might be able to answer for you?

Suzanne Hessman: I have a question You had mentioned that there was going to be some kind of resource to help simulate the annual reports

Lawrence Allen: Yeah, I was going to have a meeting yesterday to finalize that and get it approved, but I got pushed to Friday. So as soon as I get the approval to send out, I'll send it to you guys so you can take a look at it.

00:35:00

Suzanne Hessman: Okay.

Lawrence Allen: I think it'll help you get started on the report. And then you always have the option of going in and free-forming and doing whatever you want to build a report that the insides more of it as you go, expanding some of the answers, and of your committee's work Correct.

Suzanne Hessman: So could a template get us started? Okay.

Lawrence Allen: That's it. Yeah, exactly.

Suzanne Hessman: This is very good because it provides more consistency across all the states and districts rather than everybody having such a different format for their words.

Lawrence Allen: it's certainly beneficial. Absolutely.

Suzanne Hessman: Great. Thank you.

Lawrence Allen: Of course.

Updates from the Health Plans and AHCCCS

Suzanne Hessman: D3 updates from the health plans and AHCCCS Wendy Do you have any updates? Hi?

Wendy Herring: Hello. I do not have any updates. But I am happy to take any questions to MercyCare

Suzanne Hessman: I don't see any questions. Thank Frederica do you have any updates?

Fredreaka Graham: Hello. I do not have any updates but again I am happy to take any questions

Suzanne Hessman: I don't hear any questions for you either. Thank you.

Updates from DDD IOC Liasion



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Suzanne Hessman: Okay, D4 is updates from DDD IOC Liasion Morgan.

Morgan O'Hara: yeah, so to continue on with the trend, I know Trudy gave us our Whole total we still have about little less than 500 of those 850 to redact and get through the audit process. So we're hoping to get those out soon. And then the committee did submit 52 questions for the month of July to the quality assurance manager, and then you guys also received a sheet of responses from April 2nd and a copy of that was also placed in the shared drive as well for reference. You need to check back on that. The next DDD IOC Statewide meeting has been scheduled for October 2nd at 5:30. So any member that would like to attend the meeting is welcome to attend and we just need to get that link sent out. And then my last one is the next DDD public town hall meeting for member's families and providers will be held on Thursday September 5th from six to eight DDD will present updates and announcements to the public through this virtual meeting. That is all my updates.

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you, Michelle. Did you have any?

Michelle Rademacher: No, no updates for me, Morgan covered them all.

Suzanne Hessman: Great. Thank you.

Discussion Review and Possible Action on Committee Membership

Suzanne Hessman: Okay, D5 is a discussion review and possible action on committee membership. I am assuming that we don't have any possible committee members because I haven't heard anything from either of you.

Suzanne Hessman: And so do we have a full committee? Everybody's here today? We have seven plus Tonia. Is that right?

Morgan O'Hara: Yes, I believe so.

Suzanne Hessman: Okay, that's awesome. Thank you everybody for attending.

Discussion and Review of Incident Reports and Behavior Plans

Suzanne Hessman: Then we have D6 discussion and review of incident reports and behavior plans.

Suzanne Hessman: Sarah do you have anything to go over on incident reports?

Sarah McGovern: I just wanted to make sure that everybody feels comfortable accessing the incident reports that we are working on the DE-2 closed file. Those are the incident reports that we look at. I've also got a list of the current ones. categories we've got kin on physical abuse medication errors Susie you're on death and suicide. I'm on neglect. We've got Beth doing da which is the Coolidge. Area Teresa's human rights other abuse Aimee's emergency measures and Selina is on death Bible accidental injury. Excuse me. Does anybody have any questions on those did I miss somebody?



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

00:40:00

Sarah McGovern: Okay, so when you close out a folder, just send an email to Morgan and CC Susie or myself so we're aware and to let her know that it's been completed and is ready to be archived.

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you.

Suzanne Hessman: And then kin, are you still attending some of the PRC?

Kin Counts: Yes, So what they do they send me the plans and I review them and send them back.

Suzanne Hessman: Okay. Thank you.

Suzanne Hessman: And Bernie's have we been taking care of all those meetings?

Berenice: Yes we also have Keith, so we have used him a lot. We have used him to make quorum and Keith wears both hats. When Keith has to be IOC that is when we send them to Kin. We have also been tracking the number of human rights violations within the plans.

Suzanne Hessman: Okay.

Suzanne Hessman: Great.

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you. We appreciate kin doing that. Does anybody else on the committee have any other questions or concerns regarding IRS and behavior treatment plans or PRC?

Suzanne Hessman: who did we have just join the meeting?

+1 602-*-**76:** Good evening. Everyone Ian Wilson here tonight at health care. I apologize. I've been having some IT issues connecting from home this evening, but if anybody has anything but a health plan, I'd be more than happy to take it back.

Suzanne Hessman: Do you have any updates for us?

+1 602-*-**76:** I do not know.

Suzanne Hessman: Does anybody have any questions for him at United Healthcare?

Suzanne Hessman: Okay. Thank you.

Public Comment

Suzanne Hessman: All right. We're on the agenda for public comment. Is anyone from the public here?

Suzanne Hessman: All right. F is consideration discussion and possible action. If we need to go into an executive session. I didn't hear any concerns regarding incident reports or membership Behavior plans.



Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM

Unless one of the committee members has something otherwise, I don't think we need to go into an executive session.

Suzanne Hessman: All right, then G is executive session, which we do not need, and H is adjournment before I adjourn. Is there anything? Teresa, Go ahead.

00:45:00

Teresa Brooks: It's always me. I'm just a couple of things. I read through some of the notifications that we got and one of them that I made a comment on was administrative six AAC 6 article 14 regarding electronic monitoring. I don't know if anybody else read that one, but that one caught my eye and I made a comment After reviewing the above-mentioned policy. I have the following comment. I believe it should require the operator to give a 30-day notice. To the residence responsible persons if they are going to turn their cameras off their monitoring devices. This would give them an opportunity. As the responsible persons that will give them an opportunity to request electronic monitoring devices to be paid installed and monitored by them if all residents are responsible. Persons agree and would more likely ensure or minimize interrupted electronic monitoring. So I just felt like there needed to be a window on that So that if the group home whatever had a monitoring system and they decided to turn that off they'd notify the responsible persons, but it could be. a day's notice. It has no timestamp on it. Morgan

Morgan O'Hara: Yes, just before we get too deep into this discussion. This sounds great, and I think it would be a good agenda item for next month.

Teresa Brooks: Okay. Okay. I'll send an email. requesting that be added to the

Teresa Brooks: The agenda for next month, so okay Suzy.

Suzanne Hessman: He absolutely yes. And I appreciate...

Teresa Brooks: Okay, and then

Suzanne Hessman: If you would, because I get so many of those, just forward that to me. I'd love to read through it again and see some of the...

Teresa Brooks: Absolutely.

Suzanne Hessman: who gets access to the recording is one of the questions that comes up for me. I think that the responsible party should be able to have access upon request. to those recordings

Teresa Brooks: yeah It lays it out very clearly. So.

Suzanne Hessman: Okay.

Teresa Brooks: And then I kind of wanted to give them a report because I attended the state IOC meeting.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Suzanne Hessman: That would be great. Thank you.

Teresa Brooks: Okay. they had Someone from APS and someone from CPS come and give a presentation. And pretty much they were shut down. first slide because it was kind of sad in a way because they had prepared these presentations, but they had basic information that they were presenting and what the IOC was looking for was specifically where's my notes? What implementations were done as a result of the task? So that's what they were looking for. So they're going to have somebody else come and present that can actually answer those questions. So that was interesting. another thing that we discussed I think Can read my mind. She asked when DDD and APS are involved. She had a concern was that we don't get a final result. So if we have an IR and CPS or IPS are involved, it may state that they're involved. But then we never know what happens after that and they clarified that. CPS and APS do report back to DDD. So we couldn't make a motion because there wasn't a quorum of the state IOC. So I'm wondering if we would like to make a motion here and then contact the IOC chairs at the other districts and have them discuss this in their meeting and then if we get enough we can present it to the ADOA.

00:50:00

Teresa Brooks: Morgan

Morgan O'Hara: Yeah, so to make a motion. We just want to make sure that it's on the agenda to make sure we're following open meeting law. So this could be another thing to the next month's agenda...

Teresa Brooks: Okay.

Morgan O'Hara: if you would like to make a motion.

Teresa Brooks: Fine, I'm learning a lot.

Suzanne Hessman: So Teresa over the years we were told that there was a form for us to specifically fill out to request Final reports from APS and CPS or DCs. So I don't know if those requisition forms still exist. Morgan Michelle do you guys know

Teresa Brooks: It actually is called APS records request at azdes.gov. So you can request them.

Suzanne Hessman: Yes, I think a specific form in the IOC DDD was created to give us those reports.

Michelle Rademacher: That I'm not familiar with my answer is going to be what Teresa mentioned because the presenters did provide that information during the Statewide meeting. But I'm not familiar with that.

Suzanne Hessman: Okay. It was probably been four years ago. It was probably four or five years ago that was created and we were told to use that as a mechanism for getting that information

Michelle Rademacher: Yeah, we'd have to look into that and research that.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Suzanne Hessman: Okay.

Kin Counts: But my question is it's very difficult because we have so many IRS and it's like are we going to request for everyone that goes under APS or CPS? Because whatever that comes back, anything that goes through is reported to APS. We never get to know what's going on. So it's not the comments for the IR always and see no comment. No, because what is there for us to comment? Can we have a report? Yeah, is there a way that you just be maybe again? It may be really redacted again. I don't know, to have to know something about what has been done so that we don't repeat questions. Always find it's always redundant. We always repeat the same. I'm the same thing and then it comes and says because we have already done and things like that, so it's kind of retarding sometimes, we are doing something that is repeated because people are very done. And then yeah, so

Suzanne Hessman: right

Joan McQuade: I just wanted to there's a difference between What APS or DCS looks at versus what DDD looks at? And I'm just going to give it to you kind of in a nutshell. But APS in DCS is looking at whether or not a child is safe where they are. So if something is going on at the school DCS would not investigate that because the child is safe at home. They're looking at whether or not Something is going on within the residents of the child. APS is looking at let's put it they can interact with the police. And follow things in that sort of a Direction. With DDD, our investigation is separate from that. We're looking at. Whether or not an agency is complying with what they're supposed to be doing contractually. And it also of course involves the member being safe. and if we believe something needs some sort of. criminal attention after lack of a better word then that's something that we would respond to. We would report that to the police report to APS for their investigation. We're DDD is looking more at Did the agency and the providers did what they were supposed to be doing if they didn't. Are we going to be able to do our remediation and a corrective action plan to make sure the same type of thing doesn't happen again in the future.

00:55:00

Joan McQuade: Because we want to make sure that the agencies are keeping our members safe. So APS and DCS, if we get incidents will refer them. You will notify APS or DCs. But we're not privy to the information of those investigations. We continue on with our investigation and leave it a lot of times if something's really serious with the blue abuser neglect agencies will let staff go. Otherwise, there would be remediation retraining whatever that happens to be. and if we believe that further investigation needs to happen those get referred to the police apsdcs and they conduct their investigations. That is going to be more detailed. Because that's not what our job is our job is to make sure members are staying safe agencies and providers have the training in the information that they need. To follow what they're supposed to be doing. And Trudy, I'm just going to ask you did I explain that? As far as the difference between APS and DCS and DDD or quality?

Trudy O'Connor: Yeah, yeah, we're not DDD when we do our fact-finding. We're not looking at Neglect or abuse because that's not our role that's under the purview of APS/DCS or police. We do referrals, but we're not using that. their investigation to make our own determination. Because we're looking at Contract



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

compliance. It also involves the health and safety rights of the members, of course, so that's where there's that overlap. But they're independent investigations.

Chat Message: *Morgan O'Hara: Any committee member can reach out to request an agenda item for any meeting at this email: DDDIOCs@azdes.gov*

Chat Message: *Teresa Brooks: Thank you Morgan*

Chat Message: *Morgan O'Hara: You are very welcome*

Michelle Rademacher: I suggest this topic because of the open meeting law. It seems like it's of good interest to the committee, and you can have a deep discussion in the next meeting if you add it to the agenda, but currently, it's not on your agenda.

Suzanne Hessman: Hi, Keith.

Keith Jansen: Hello, ma'am. Yeah, I was just going to mention one of the big differences: APS has a special branch that works with DDD and DCS doesn't

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you.

Keith Jansen: You're sorry.

Teresa Brooks: And then a couple more things that I wanted to. They said their centralized background check is up and running it's life.

Teresa Brooks: And then, I think the last thing was the untold stories, which someone brought up. There's a couple of links, Michelle. Do you still have those links? Did you send those to the state IOC? I can't remember if they were in that email. But if anyone wants to watch those, I'm sure they're not easy to watch, but they're untold stories about sexual violence. And that's all I have.

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you, in the text box Morgan put the email that any Committee Member can request for an agenda item to be added to our agenda.

Adjournment

Suzanne Hessman: All right, everybody. Thank you very much for attending this meeting. This is the official end of our district East IC meeting. I'm trying to pull up the calendar here. Our next meeting is September 11th at 5:00 p.m. on this same Google Meet. Thank you, everyone.

01:00:00

Trudy O'connor: Have a great evening.

Suzanne Hessman: Thank you.



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Lawrence Allen: Thank you.

Teresa Brooks: tonight

Katrien Filez: Bye-bye.

Selina Kataria: Thank you. Good night.

Meeting ended after 01:00:34 🙌

Information on the IR reviews

CLOSED Categories:

Death/ Suicide- Suzanne

Human Rights/Other Abuse - Teresa

Emergency Measures- Aimee

Physical Abuse - Kin

Medication Errors- Kin

Neglect - Sarah

DA/All IRs - Beth

Accidental Injury -

PRC – Kin

None currently- Tonia

For **July IRs**, the Committee members have been loaded in the shared drive **714** incident reports. This included **24** open and **690** closed reports. ATPC had **13** totals with **1** open and **12** closed.

Type	Open	Closed
Accidental Injury	0	99
Consumer Missing	0	8
Community	0	39
Deaths	2	2
Emergency Measures	1	16
Human Rights	3	11
Legal	0	1
Medication Errors	2	47



**Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)
District East Independent Oversight Committee (IOC)
Public Meeting Minutes Summary
Wednesday, August 14, 2024 – 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM**

Neglect	11	50
Other Abuse	3	11
Other Behavior	0	285
Other Hospitalization, Unknown injury	0	124
Physical Abuse	2	10
Property Damage	0	0
Suicide	0	2
TOTALS	24	690

Number of Questions for Quality Assurance Manager: **52**

Members of the committee will comment on incident reports directly and the liaison will send them to the Quality Improvement Manager.

The Program Review Committee (PRC) is being attended to by **Keith Jansen**. Reviewed by **Kin Counts**.

Adjournment

Sarah McGovern adjourned the meeting at 6:01pm. The next District East IOC meeting will be held on Wednesday September 11, 2024, at 5:00 pm. The meeting will be a virtual meeting.